Technical / Cloud Architect
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Technical/ Cloud Architect for our Technology department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the Role
The Data and Technology Architecture group of the College Board seeks a Solution Architect to work within the Reporting team. In this data explosion age, processing, analysis, and management of data are the core activities of almost all businesses. College Board is looking for an experienced technologist with technical depth and strong interpersonal skills who is passionate about working with customers to help build applications at scale. This includes enabling innovation through continuous deployment in DevOps, building web & mobile scale-out applications, using RDBMS (MySQL, AWS Aurora, Oracle, and Postgres) and/or NoSQL (AWS DynamoDB, MongoDB, and Cassandra) data stores, building IoT use cases and implementing big data analytics w/ technologies like Hadoop, Spark, EMR, RedShift, and Kinesis. The Solution Architect is accountable for the comprehensive high-level design, functionality, economics, and architectural compliance of project solution options; they are responsible for delivering EA-compliant project solution architectures that meet the business’ functional requirements. The Solution Architect will identify core and important features for Program and Business and realize them with state-of-art technologies. This individual will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and solve systems problems. In addition, the Solution Architect provides consultative technical leadership across the organization, from strategic decision making down to the project planning level.
Responsibilities of the role
- Architect and deliver optimal solutions that are aligned with an EA perspective.
- Create synergies and reuse within and across projects.
- Establish Solution & Data architectural standards and strategies as the norm.
- Lead projects through gating reviews.
- Confer with stakeholders to define business requirements for complex systems development – from both functional and non-functional perspectives (i.e. concept of operations, performance, test, cost, schedule, training, support, and disposal).
- Collaborate with other architects –data architects, technical architects, business architects, domain architects, or enterprise architects -- and marry their various requirements into one solution.
- Model business and systems processes based on findings through use case scenarios, workflow diagrams, and data models.
- Evaluate alternative architectures with respect to their composition, e.g. people, hardware, software, facilities, policies, documents, risks, and cost.
- Create systems models, data models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide architectural expertise, direction, and assistance to project and development teams.
- Validate the architecture’s compliance to the requirements and verifies the system’s compliance to the architecture.
- Develop, document, and communicate plans for investing in systems architecture, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
- Contribute to technology strategy and planning. Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
- Participate in the architecture roadmap activities.
- Review new and existing systems design projects and procurement or outsourcing plans for compliance with standards and architectural plans.
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce system standards as necessary.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team.
Qualifications needed for the role
- Education - Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science or systems engineering (Master’s degree preferred).
- Professional training and/or certifications using Amazon Web Services, Oracle, Linux, Java, and Microsoft tools and technologies desired.
- 10+ years of general experience in systems design and integration
- Expert level experience in architecture design in the areas of enterprise application, server less, micro-services, data, and web applications.
- Architecture Experience - 5 years minimum across multiple disciplines (Requirements Engineering, Risk management, Technology planning, design, development, System Integration, or Quality Assurance).
Preferred skills for the role
- Extensive experience in developing strategic solution architecture plans.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Proven experience in systems and network design and development.
- Strong understanding of information processing principles and practices.
- Hands-on experience designing solutions using Amazon Web Services (AWS) services including IAM, Lambda, Cognito, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, SNS/SQS, S3, CloudFront, API Gateway, Dynamo, Organizations
- Experience with “on-premise to cloud” migrations or IT transformations
- Experience architecting /operating solutions build on AWS
- Technical knowledge of Cloud Computing, DevOps, and Microservices.
- Strong knowledge of COTS evaluation principles and practices.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong consultative skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills and customer service orientation.
- Lifelong Learner – what is learned today will be obsolete tomorrow; demonstrated continuous learning
- Willingness/ability to work off-shifts (evening, night-time, weekend) as needed
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
College Board is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.