Manager, Software Engineering
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Manager, Software Engineering for our Technology department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the Role
The Manager, Software Engineering will lead and manage transactional data system functions for SAT Suite of Assessments. This leadership role is responsible for managing, planning, scheduling, communicating, facilitating, monitoring, controlling, and reporting project related tasks to ensure timely implementation data systems for College Board applications and services. These responsibilities include managing cross-functional teams (or Integrated Product Teams), and delivering approved systems on time, within budget, and with quality results. The Manager, Software Engineering will have an overall understanding of current and upcoming AWS cloud services, and large-scale transactional development experience, including working with all levels of executive leadership on the business and technology sides of the organization.
Responsibilities of the role
- For initiatives to which they are assigned, the Manager, Software Engineering, will manage poly-skilled Agile team(s) - often comprised of a mix of College Board employees, outsourced consultant teams and contractors - to successfully deliver the systems and continue to improve on the existing processes and culture of the organization including:
- Requirements gathering / analysis / solutions / options
- Communication practices
- Scope management
- Integration planning
- Development / integration
- Documentation / artifact management
- Risk management
- Quality assurance and oversight
- Executive leadership, updates and project decision making
- Own and drive all project details, issues, etc.
- Manage the budget, schedule, quality, cost, and resources.
- Provide regular updates to technology and business executives.
- Raise key decision points and risks to the executive steering committee for resolution,
- Evaluate and manage vendor relationships as it relates to services being provided as well as software/hardware vendors supporting our organization.
- Develop and drive incremental quality and agility into the organization as it relates to assigned projects.
- Ensure that technology standards and processes are consistently followed and enhanced.
- Provide thought leadership and direction throughout the development lifecycle including the evaluation of various implementations and tools at the early stages of projects that best meet the needs of the initiative while strategically supporting the technology direction and advancement of the group.
- Grow College Board institutional knowledge and education domain knowledge over time in order to drive a business-oriented perspective for Data Engineering teams being led
- Manage staff through the use of Agile Scrum Best Practices and internal College Board guidelines, utilizing formal and informal communications mechanisms to; define goals and objectives, provide and allow for open communications, effectively evaluate staff performance, and assist with compensation reviews and recommendations.
- Planning, organizing, and monitoring, College Board projects; managing cross-functional teams, responsible for delivering the approved systems on time, within budget, and with quality results. Specifically, to include the following:
- Develop and track detailed project plans and provide detailed reports of progress against plan to include quality metrics.
- Participate in and facilitate business analysis and system design activities.
- Resolve problems, determine solutions, and track and manage issues.
- Prepare project budgets and track actuals versus budget for multiple projects.
- Mentor, coach, and provide feedback to project teams throughout the project life-cycle, to include contribution to performance reviews of project team members.
- Continuously improve, develop, and implement best practices in accordance with IT standards and procedures and the Agile Maturity Model (AMM).
- Monitors data industry trends and evolving standards related to data management best practices. Ensures that deliverables adhere and utilizing best practices applicable and aligned with The College Board data product directions.
- Act as a change agent for acceptance of IT divisional directives and facilitates process ownership for specific life-cycle improvement initiatives.
- Manage work culture to ensure the mission and operating principles of The College Board are consistently recognized and utilized to promote a productive and fair work environment.
Qualifications needed for the role
- Bachelor’s degree is required (MS or MBA preferred).
- Successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 - 7 years of experience in large scale transactional data system and applying knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to a broad range of life-cycle activities in order to meet the requirements for data projects and process improvement initiatives to include requirement management, Use Cases; object-oriented analysis and design; UML notation; functional and performance testing; and software configuration
- Experience in leading cross-functional, technology-oriented planning or data implementation projects – including working with all levels of executive leadership on the business and technology sides of organizations.
- Must be highly effective at working with all levels of executive leadership. Strong communication skills, customer relationship management skills and team leadership skills are paramount to the success of this role.
- Must have experience managing medium size teams (5 to 15) – both directly and indirectly in support of technology implementations.
- Must have demonstrated experience and appreciation for transactional data management methodologies and all aspects of the data life-cycle, including preparing an organization for ongoing operational support.
- Successful experience presenting to senior level executives.
- The ideal candidate is a strategic and consultative leader who has had success leading technology initiatives, demonstrates strong creativity and innovative thinking, is knowledgeable about the education industry, and has the ability to lead and manage product development projects.
- Knowledge of crossover/inter-dependencies between infrastructure tasks and development activities
Preferred skills for the role
- Experience managing and leading project managers, developers, architects, testers, etc.
- Experience in serverless architecture using AWS Cloud services
- Must be able to multitask and to lead and manage multiple teams simultaneously while providing appropriate direction and oversight.
- Must be a result oriented, get things done leader – with a history of success and the desire to help an organization evolve and grow.
- Experience managing outsourced teams is a plus.
- Advanced problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Strong demonstrated customer service orientation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in managing matrixed teams.
- Stress/performance test experience for large sets of users is a plus.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
College Board is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.