Lead Software Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Lead Software Engineer for our Technology department. This position is based in our Reston, VA office.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the Role
As a Lead Software Engineer, the ideal candidate will have designed, developed, unit tested, implemented and documented solutions that include not only the code to support business functionality, but also the underlying infrastructure required to run that code and the systems required to deploy it. The candidate will have also standardized and tuned the patterns and components in complex system. They should also possess the vision and communication skills to help the team move the systems into the future. The candidate will also possess technical skills and experience in the virtual infrastructure domain, specifically Amazon Web Services. The preferred candidate would also have knowledge and experience with continuous delivery systems.
The candidate will report to the Director/Sr. Director and work within agile application teams that develop and maintain highly visible and critical applications. The candidate will have responsibility to design, implement and tune various software patterns to be used within the applications. They will also be expected to help others on the team use those patterns within the application. As an Agile team member, from time to time, they may be called on to implement, unit test, document and maintain complex technical software solutions in support of the application development and QA processes. Additionally, they will be expected to ensure communication and relationships with customers and cross-team members are professional and meet expectations.
The Lead Software Engineer will maintain awareness and knowledge of the emerging trends in technology, and its usage within the industry, and will apply this learning in the establishment of new and innovative technology strategies to support College Board’s business needs. The candidate will also work with the teams to establish related practices, standards, and guidelines and provide oversight and adoption support to solution delivery teams.
In addition, successful candidates will be innovative thinkers and passionate in their pursuit of world class technology enabled business solutions. They will also be strong leaders, skilled communicators, and active partners, adept in interpreting and understanding the needs of the enterprise while translating those needs into technology architectures and solutions that are enduring and of high quality.
This is an opportunity for you to design and implement high-quality solutions that enable product and service delivery in support of the College Board’s mission, strategy, goals, and objectives. You'll be surrounded by people who are like you; wickedly smart, passionate about the cloud, and know that the work that they are doing today supports the next generation of thought leaders and their future.
What you’ll do
- Develop and implement standards, patterns and processes which establish consistency across enterprise data, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives
- Develop and implement solutions, based on that set of standards, patterns and processes
- Define and communicate best practices for modeling, storing, and moving data to support cloud applications
- Design and develop solutions to move/replicate data from an in-house database to AWS data store
- Mentor development team members on data best practices and cloud technologies
- Develop full stack AWS Cloud solutions (with emphasis on Data) and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality.
- Write complex code, building infrastructure as code, work with “cloud” based environments, and build the supporting automated toolsets to test and deploy the systems they develop.
- Take responsibility for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels, employ reviews and observations to maintain the quality and continuous improvement process, and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance.
- Use metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames.
- Actively review their own and the team’s work processes and implements improvements seen from other teams or in industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality
- The candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation. Design may include understanding and documenting “current state” implementation
- Ensure procedures and methods are established and adhered to, to operate in PROD as well as to share information with customers and cross-functional team members.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 7+ years of experience in software systems, programming, database development, and infrastructure development and administration
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience with full stack development.
- 3+ years demonstrated experience with AWS cloud supported programming languages like Java, Node JS, React JS, Angular JS or Python development.
- 2+ years hands-on with AWS Lambda, SNS/SQS, S3, IAM, CloudWatch, EC2, RDS and DynamoDB, AWS CLI, Kibana
- Fluency with CI/CD toolsets such as: Jenkins, Ansible, CloudFormation, BitBucket
- Strong problem solving and analytic skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to work independently and within Agile teams. Scrum Team Member attitude – willingness to support the team to be successful in any area necessary
- Demonstrated experience in leading and mentoring technical staff in the development and usage of cloud technology and solutions
- Working knowledge of AWS Serverless architecture
- Working knowledge of distributed architectural design patterns
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments
- Ability to use or learn: KMS, ALB/ELB, Route 53, VPC
More about you
- Expertise in the knowledge of programming languages, relational databases, and NoSQL databases
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or similar scripting techniques
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites like Kibana, NewRelic, DataDog, SumoLogic, and Nagios
- Strong practical Linux based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud based environment
- AWS certificate/s is/are a plus
- Experience with automated testing tools (i.e. selenium, Cucumber) are a plus
- Experience with Agile Scrum practice a plus
We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes up to four weeks of paid time off each year, comprehensive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development and training, and more.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.