The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Product Owner. This position will be based out of our Reston, VA office, New York City office or via remote work arrangements.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused, not-for-profit membership organization that believes in promoting innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. Our members include more than 6,000 of the world’s leading colleges, schools, and other educational organizations. We have over 1,900 employees in 13 offices across the continental U.S. and Puerto Rico.
We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
About the Role
Act as a product owner you will bring strong knowledge of key educational technology concepts and products, relevant K-12 pedagogical approaches, common school district purchase and implementation models, and Agile product development best practices.
Responsibilities of the role
- Monitor all phases of product development and help to resolve roadblocks to ensure deadlines are met.
- Gather and document detailed requirements, functional specifications, user stories, and acceptance criteria for product and process enhancements.
- In conjunction with the product managers, manage, prioritize, and assess the impact of all work items, such as new features, product backlog, etc., including providing the decision to create, fix or defer at the product level.
- Actively support design and prototype work. Solicit customer and other stakeholder feedback on concepts and create wireframes.
- Oversee product incidents and questions from customers and prioritize needs.
- Assist with product/project level plans related to launch schedule, scope and resources. Attend project meetings and scrum meetings including standups, retrospectives, and demos, working in partnership with agile teams on execution.
- Assist with functional testing for assigned products, including reviewing and accepting or declining output of development to ensure specified acceptance criteria have been completed.
- Lead go-to-market/launch, communication, and training plans, working with marketing, operations, and development teams.
Qualifications needed for the role
- 4+ years of experience in demonstrated functional SME experience (either system development or process engineering) with experience in education technology, and/or assessment/curriculum development a significant plus
- Experience working as a key member of a project team (Agile, etc.) developing business processes or solutions, creating business requirements and delivering business capabilities required.
- Has experience creating strategic product roadmaps, working with cross-functional teams.
- Able to design for simplicity. You are at your best untangling and simplifying complex problems.
- Likes a challenge and thrives when thinking creatively and devising fresh approaches to tough business and operational problems.
- Able to move projects forward with minimal oversight, and can adapt to new information, situations, or challenges with minimal guidance
- Communicates clearly and compellingly about your analyses, insights, and recommendations, and know how to target your presentation style, written or oral, to different audiences
- Able to influence multiple stakeholders
We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes up to four weeks of paid time off each year, comprehensive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development and training, and more.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
College Board is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.