Junior Cloud Engineer Intern
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Junior Cloud Engineer- Intern for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
About the College Board
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The College Board's Internship Program is an exciting chance to develop new skills while contributing to an organization that is committed to the transformation of education in America through college readiness for all students.
The Internship Program presents a unique opportunity to highly talented students who wish to develop strengths in core skills, and to obtain real-world work experience. The College Board is committed to our Internship Program and ensures that each student receives mentoring, experiences a variety of assignments that allow for collaboration with diverse groups across the organization, and focuses on defined deliverables.
- Engage in the College Board's work to increase access and opportunity for all students
- Duration: (8-10-week program)
- Location(s): Reston, VA
- Start-date: June 1, 2020
- End-date: August 7, 2020
- Paid / Fulltime internship
This position is with the Cloud Excellence team within the College Board’s Information Technology division. The Cloud Excellence team is composed of the Cloud Center of Excellence, the DevOps Center of Excellence, and our IT Technical Education team. The team’s mission is to enable internal development teams to deliver high quality, highly cloud-native solutions to students, parents, and educators. We do this through the development of core tools for cloud solutions, active consultation with development teams on 1st class cloud development and providing continuous training in modern software and cloud development techniques.
This individual will work with the Cloud Center of Excellence Platform team on foundational tools needed for development of solutions on AWS. Specifically, the intern will help with the implementation of a global access platform to our AWS environments. The individual will build these solutions using best-in-industry practices and tools including microservices, serverless, node.js and react. The intern will work directly with the team following Agile solutions development practices building features directly from our backlog.
What you’ll do
- Develop infrastructure as code using core AWS technologies such as Cloud Formation, Lambda, Cognito, and API Gateway
- Write code to implement features for our AWS access platform in node.js and react
- Peer review the code of your co-workers using the Bitbucket source control tool
- Participate in Agile software development ceremonies such as the scrum, sprint planning, and retrospectives
- Interest in working for a mission-oriented, not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving education
- Committed to working the entire agreed upon internship period
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Development major
- Understanding and use of an Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Eagerness to contribute in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to learn, explore, and be challenged in software development
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required.