Scoring Operations Product Owner
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Scoring Operations Product Owner for our Operations department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
About the College Board
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The College Board is re-imagining our Scoring processes with focus on operational efficiency and modernized cloud-based solutions to continue to enable timely, and accurate scores to students. We are looking for an experienced Product Owner to drive big ideas to concept and collaborate with product leaders and agile development teams across the organization to bring concepts to life. Specifically, the Product Owner will develop features to optimize our scoring systems and processes, retire legacy systems with cloud based micro-services and transition our data management from batch-oriented processing to streaming.
The Scoring Operations Product Owner should have proven success leading the product development life-cycle with a proven track record in delivering products and solutions that generate substantial value. The Scoring Operations Product Owner will be responsible for providing oversight to a scrum team, ensuring adherence to agile ceremonies for and maintenance of all necessary communications and documentation.
What you’ll do
- Leverage an Agile mindset to collaborate with a diverse set of operation SME’s and technologists to solve critical business problems.
- Collaborate with portfolio and program managers, product leaders, and enterprise IT leaders across our organization to develop and maintain a prioritized cross-portfolio road-map.
- Define product direction, prioritize and manage features that will deliver best of class experience
- Work within a DevOps team, balancing product and operational enhancements. In addition to core scoring, the team will be responsible for resolving data anomalies throughout the operation, including external vendor resolutions, to ensure timely scoring.
- Conduct product and market research in collaboration with the internal and external researchers. Prioritize across multiple opportunities and stakeholder needs using deep empathy and understanding of students, company strategy and market trends.
- Facilitate impact assessments for strategic change across the assessment life-cycle (design, development, delivery, scoring and reporting).
- Implement solutions aimed at driving efficiency, control, quality and automation across systems and processes.
- Design obtain buy-in, and align constituents to road-maps that visualize how and when changes will be made across the assessment life-cycle in accordance with planned market launches.
- Proactively manage risks, issues and impediments to ensure market launch targets are met.
- Establish and execute communication strategies and plans to ensure all internal and external constituents are aware and informed.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of best practices in both technology development and methods for empowering college access.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Reputation as an exemplary Product /Owner or change agent with a minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
- Proven experience leading and managing complex enterprise-wide initiatives required.
- Experience aligning business process and technology changes to attain desired business outcomes.
- Experience managing the prioritization of program, product or IT backlogs. Agile experience required.
- Strong analytical skills with a demonstrated ability to learn and assess complex systems and processes.
- Strategic mindset with experience building product road-maps and budgets.
- Proven ability to manage up and across multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Able to effectively develop and manage collaborative relationships with internal and external constituents, including vendors.
- Track record of vision-setting and effective change management.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, customer service orientation.
- Committed to clearing a path for all students to own their future.
More about you
- Mission driven — Strongly committed to expanding educational opportunity.
- Inquisitive and solution-oriented — Has a passion for learning and looks to apply new knowledge to practical solutions.
- Strategic — Understands how to design products and solutions based on the intersection of business goals and user needs, using innovative design paradigms and latest technologies to create unique and effective solutions.
- Master of the details that matter — Pursues excellence rather than perfection, based on a keen understanding of business and user needs.
- Adapts quickly — Demonstrates ability to efficiently and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Get it done attitude — Owns a willingness to work hard and do what it takes to get the job done well.
- Communicator – Able to present to executive management and other key stakeholders often and in a compelling manner that emphasizes the important intersection of business and technology.
- Innovative — Moves quickly to a rough-and-ready solution that can be tested against user needs.
- Productive — Well organized, able to multi-task, able to prioritize with minimal direction
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required.