The College Board is conducting a search for a Proofreader. This position can be based out of our Iowa City, IA or New York, NY offices.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the position
As part of the Assessment Design and Development Editorial team, the Proofreader will proofread various College Board assessments and assessment support materials across a variety of programs and content management systems to ensure an error-free product.
What You’ll Do
- Proofread assessments, support materials, test-related communications, and other test development publications against original copy, ensuring that text matches the original and that style and spelling are consistent and correct. You’ll be accountable for the accuracy of all reviewed publications.
- Maintain department tracking procedures.
- Work with the editorial director to monitor workflows and prioritize projects, informing director of any scheduling issues or project conflicts.
- Edit copy to conform to a high-level grammatical standard as outlined by College Board with content acceptable to a particular program, including punctuation, mechanics, and style.
- Proofread materials across a variety of content management systems and technical platforms, including Drupal and our in-house item bank system. Proofread various customized digital products.
A bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or related field is required. At least two years of related work experience is also required.
Preference will be given to candidates who are familiar with the editing and proofreading of assessments and assessment-related materials and who have excellent grammar skills and a keen eye for maintaining accuracy are essential.
More About You
- Specialized, proven proofreading ability and knowledge of general publishing/publications standards and practices
- Specialized, comprehensive knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style; familiarity with the Associated Press Stylebook and the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association a plus
- Thorough knowledge of marking up PDFs and familiarity with Microsoft Office products
- Adept at editing and working in a variety of content management systems and technical platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes up to four weeks of paid time off each year, comprehensive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development and training, and more.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.