Lead Software Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Lead Software Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The candidate will build software products and data pipelines using a diverse array of technologies such as React.js, Node.js, and AWS, and enhance existing continuous integration and delivery pipelines to enable our team to efficiently deploy into production. Additionally, s/he will be expected to ensure communications and relationships with customers and cross-team members are professional and productive.
Successful candidates will be innovative thinkers, skilled communicators, and active partners, adept in interpreting and understanding the needs of the team and its stakeholders. This is an opportunity for you to design and implement innovative solutions to support College Board’s mission, strategy, goals, and objectives. You'll be surrounded by people who are like you; wickedly smart, passionate about the cloud, and know that the work that they are doing today supports the next generation of thought leaders and their future.
What you’ll do
- Lead the development and implementation of resource-optimized full-stack solutions that reduce risk, promote efficiencies, move the ball of innovation forward, and align to mission goals
- Learn and adopt new technologies as needed, avoid unnecessary overhead, and help set a norm of expanding the team’s skillsets and improving velocity
- Write elegant code and advise on simplifying complexity, the guide on right-sizing infrastructure and overhead
- Use metrics to establish the feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including a budget, sequencing, and time frames.
- Actively review individual and teamwork processes and implement improvements seen from other teams or in the industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality
- Lead or oversee design specifications, architecture reviews, and technical documentation.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or MIS
- 5-7 years of experience in software systems, programming, database development, and infrastructure development and administration
- 7+ years of demonstrated experience with full stack development and programming languages like React.js, Node.js, and Python development
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with serverless technologies
- 2+ years of hands-on experience understanding sensitive data protection requirements and implementing secure and auditable systems
- Proficiency working with various CI/CD toolsets
- Strong and evolving competence in datastore technologies (including relational and NoSQL databases)
- Experience with different architectures and application types, including microservices, and the ability to present informed decisions about the best approach for a project
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to interface effectively with technical and non-technical team members and provide strong reasoning for architectural decisions
- Ability to work independently
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment
More about you
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code
- Experience with building new products and services from the ground up
- Working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments, including monitoring and logging tools
- Practical Linux system administration skills and scripting experience
- Experience with automated testing tools (e.g., Selenium, Cucumber) is a plus
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required.