Senior Site Reliability Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the role
As a member of the Site Reliability Engineering team, the Sr SRE will build, operate and maintain Enterprise-level, large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant, and highly reliable systems that will be used by College Board DevOps teams. The Sr SRE will also advise, coach, and train DevOps teams on these products. The Sr SRE develops software, optimizes new and existing systems, and eliminates manual work through automation.
The successful candidate will be a highly communicative team player with experience in AWS technology, and comfortable with traditional and cloud infrastructure. The Sr SRE must have experience in script development and DevOps practices. Day-to-day activities will vary as the team works to support College Board’s portfolio of applications and infrastructure while developing and implementing solutions for migration to the AWS Cloud.
What you’ll do
- Comprehensive knowledge of their discipline and specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise
- Develops innovative solutions and encourages the application of new ideas
- Leads the planning and execution on a variety of projects
- Exercises considerable professional autonomy, provides expertise across multiple functions and is accountable for performance
- Mentors junior staff
- Participates in on-call escalations to troubleshoot critical issues
Problem solving and innovation
- Integrates information from multiple sources to develop new insights into challenges
- Encourages efforts to re-engineer work processes and eliminate non-essential or redundant activities using improvement experiments; proposes and helps teams evaluate results and helps propagate changes using modern engineering design methods
- Approaches tasks systematically but can adjust plans to meet changing requirements from stakeholders
- Demonstrates sound technical and business judgement
- Ensures appropriate communication with partners, builds consensus around common interests, and fosters high trust culture
- Prepares and effectively communicates complex technical information that can be understood by a wide range of technical and/or non-technical audiences
- Provides critical feedback in a constructive manner
- Represents IT / Group / Division
- Obtains and integrates perspectives from other disciplines in planning and implementing work activities
- Delegates responsibility and provides support (coaching and mentoring) for more junior teammate's work activities on a regular basis
- Persuades peers and leaders within area of responsibility; builds credibility for initiatives by presenting evidence and ensuring that individuals affected by decisions are included in the process at the outset
Customer service and support
- Develops and implements methodology to effectively collect and incorporate customer input for products and services
- Ensures IT staff can economically support, administer and maintain engineered products and services
Leadership and decision making
- Plans and clearly communicates objectives and expected outcomes and assigns responsibility for specific components
- Balances near-term demands with long-term goals and vision; understands business goals and balances business goals with engineering practices
- Participates in recruiting and interviewing
Project process management
- Balances multiple concurrent initiatives to achieve a high degree of quality and timeliness
- Uses metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames
- Communicates clear milestones and deliverables; ensures all team members understand their contributions toward the desired outcome
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and engineering experience to plan and implement a variety of activities
- Uses knowledge of College Board products, services and audiences to identify partners to share perspectives, validates approaches and avoids redundancy
- Uses technical subject matter expertise to objectively critique solution alternatives at architectural and implementation detail levels
- Uses quality management to ensure quality levels are maintained
- Analyzes the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance
- Uses reviews and observations as feedback for continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Minimum of 7 years of engineering experience in relevant technical positions
- Performance Engineering Experience: Professional experience in profiling applications and resource usage. Collaborate with product and Software Engineering teams to benchmark capacity of system, identify bottlenecks, and efficiently decrease latency of system
- Operations Experience: Experience in monitoring complex distributed systems. Be proactive to identify problems before they happen. Ability to write scripts and build applications that ensure the up-time and reliability of production services
- Strong knowledge of cloud computing, especially AWS services
- Relevant understanding of networking, Database, security, and operating system concepts
- Experience managing application and system logs
- Experience in CICD tools such as Jenkins
- Experience in performance testing tools such as jmeter
- Experience is Application Performance Monitoring tools such as New Relic
- Familiarity with Apache, Tomcat, and Weblogic
- Excellent written and verbal communication, able to collaborate and rally support
More about you
- DevOps process and Agile/Scrum Methodology
- Orchestration/Configuration Management and Continuous Integration technology (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible etc.)
- Version control platforms (e.g. Git or BitBucket)
- Networking protocols such as HTTP, DNS and TCP/IP
- Atlassian tools: JIRA, and Confluence
- Software Development Life Cycle, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes up to four weeks of paid time off each year, comprehensive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development and training, and more.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.