Senior Information Security Engineer
The College Board is conducting a search for a Senior Information Security Engineer for our IT department. This position is based out of our Reston, Virginia office.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the role
The College Board is rapidly transforming itself into an agile organization, embracing DevOps and cloud-native systems, and focused on improving speed and security of service delivery in support of an important mission. To enable this mission, the College Board is seeking a Senior Information Security Engineer to join its Security Engineering and Operations team. The role presents a great opportunity for a Security Engineer to join a dynamic team that is developing critical security systems to support its future state, cloud-based architecture.
The Senior Information Security Engineer is responsible for the planning, development, implementation, and ongoing operational support of security systems and tools which safeguard the integrity of and access to applications, tools, and electronic information in order to guard information against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction or disclosure.
The Senior Information Security Engineer will provide ongoing design, development, and administration of core systems and processes that span multiple environments, including on-premise data center hosted systems, cloud-based (AWS and Azure) solutions, SaaS/PaaS (software-as-a-service/platform-as-a-service) offerings, and corporate user domains.
The candidate must possess experience across multiple technical domains to ensure comprehensive security controls. These areas include network and host-based technologies such as firewalls and IDS/IPS systems, security monitoring and reporting tools such as SIEM’s, user access controls, anti-virus software, and data safeguards. The Senior Information Security Engineer helps to ensure that sound security and engineering practices are followed throughout the life-cycle of these systems. The engineer will play a leadership role in the evolution of our security architecture and in the build out of key tools as the College Board modernizes its suite of systems and tools with a focus on cloud and emerging technologies.
What you’ll do
- Build out core security infrastructure, systems, and tools in collaboration with Security Architecture, Engineering, and Operations teams.
- Consult with staff across various IT teams to evaluate, select, install, and configure systems and services that provide appropriate security functions.
- Enhance active threat and security monitoring capabilities across College Board systems and integrate monitoring and alerting capabilities into an integrated SIEM environment.
- Be responsible for the performance and tuning of key monitoring and alerting programs.
- Develop and lead vendor engagements in the build out of additional security architecture and systems.
- Provide support to IT, GRC, and other business units as appropriate on responding to audits and other information requests.
- Assist in the documentation of security policies and maintenance of resource classification schemes.
- Present information on security status, project status, and security training to audiences at all organizational levels.
- Provide technical expertise and oversee the administration of security tools that control and monitor information security.
- Stay abreast of new developments related to security software, tools and devices and assess their application to the overall system architecture.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of industry and legislative requirements related to information security.
- Support company-wide security awareness efforts and train information owners in the appropriate use of information and in the implementation of necessary computer security controls and/or systems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, professional training, or work experience.
- 10+ Years’ experience in IT field.
- Min. 7 years’ experience in information security.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership of multi-discipline, high-performance work teams and ability to make decisions in fast-paced environments
- CISSP or CCSP preferred but not required.
More about you
- Technical expertise in security-related hardware and software solutions and services, particularly in technologies related to anti-virus/anti-malware, IDS/IPS systems, firewalls, and VPN solutions and services.
- In-depth knowledge of information security, computer architecture, and software and hardware protection schemes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding.
- Confidence and leadership as a member of project teams in working with business users in a cross-functional environment
- Excellent problem solving and analytical ability
We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes up to four weeks of paid time off each year, comprehensive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development and training, and more.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.