Director of Creative Strategy
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director, Creative Strategy. This position is based in our New York City headquarters. Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in 2015, the College Board is a mission-focused organization with the opportunity to positively change the way students and educators interact with the college-going experience. In the coming year, College Board is looking to reimagine our digital experiences to focus on the end-to-end user journey, creating tailored experiences for each of our audience types. To do this effectively, we are building out a Creative Strategy discipline that will consider the bigger (cross-channel) picture, when proposing solutions that create a more cohesive and streamlined digital experience.
The College Board is looking to bring on a Director, Creative Strategy to build out a new program and product experience focused on connecting students to higher Ed institutions in meaningful ways. The Director, Creative Strategy will work closely with the Program Owner and a Design Researcher to develop a program and product strategy that delivers true value to program mission and the constituents it serves. The Director, Creative Strategy will be a highly strategic partner at the nascent stages of determining the future product experiences, building on the research and insights from various College Board and industry-leading subject matter experts.
This role requires a command of translating various forms of research (generative, user, etc.) into a product strategy and experience that can be tested and validated iteratively. From this initial approach, the Director, Creative Strategy will be charged with leading a cross-functional team through the process of transforming the product strategy into a fully functional product to bring to market, all within the context of a larger digital ecosystem that is simultaneously evolving.
Additionally, the Director, Creative Strategy will work closely with the Executive Director of Brand Experience and Senior Director of Creative Strategy on a variety of special projects. This will entail in-person work sessions and brainstorms followed by artifact creation and presentations to senior and executive-level management. You should be skilled and comfortable with presenting to a range of leadership levels, from Program Owners to the Executive Leadership Team, to drive buy-in for the work in a manner that instills confidence in leadership at the College Board.
What you’ll do:
- Define an early product strategy for a new program that is centered around a digital product, translating an emerging business strategy into a product strategy
- Conduct a competitive/comparative landscape analyses, identifying pain points and opportunities in the current marketplace and finding innovative players in the field
- Concept and prototype early product designs for testing and validation exercises
- Drive alignment within the team and with Program Owners; championing design ideas that fulfill organizational goals
- Design presentations that communicate the thinking behind our approach in a way that is clear, succinct, and tailored to the presentation audience
- Lead a cross-functional team from initial product concepts through to a full product launch, facilitating connections between the Research, UX, Content Strategy, Visual Design, and Project Management disciplines
- Define an optimal distribution strategy, working with Marketing and Communications teams to drive a successful product launch and adoption
- Continue to evolve and grow the product vision post-launch for continued success
- A natural leader looking to build a new discipline within an older organization and isn’t afraid of taking on large-scale systemic change (with the necessary support)
- A strong negotiator that is willing to collaborate and find a middle ground
- Dedicated and passionate about our non-profit mission
- A great storyteller both with words and visualizations
- Exceptional systems thinker and designer, with the ability to focus and delivery incrementally, but always keep an eye on the larger system design
- Experienced working in agile, or iterative design and delivery environments.
- Effective, but easy-going – someone that is fun to work with and really thrives in a collaborative environment
- A leader that is not afraid to speak up about what they feel is important, but also is strategic in picking their battles
- A person with a good sense of humor who isn’t afraid to try and fail (or succeed!)
- Able to provide relevant case studies and a portfolio of your work
- Have a minimum of 7 years experience in this or a related field
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a portfolio of your work through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.