Senior Director of Content Operations & Engineering
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Director of Content Operations & Engineering. This position is based in our New York City headquarters. Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in 2015, the College Board is a mission-focused organization with the opportunity to positively change the way students and educators interact with the college-going experience. In the coming year, College Board is looking to reimagine our digital experiences to focus on the end-to-end user journey, creating tailored experiences for each of our audience types. Today our print and digital content exist and operate in disparate locations and technologies, resulting in the creation of duplicate content and inefficient processes. We are now reevaluating the role of content at the College Board and looking to establish a global, standardized approach for how we structure, publish, maintain, and distribute content across our digital and print ecosystems and off-platform channels.
As such, we are looking to bring on a Senior Director of Content Operations & Engineering to lead our Content Engineering and Web Production disciplines, with the intent of standing up a new Content Management function over time. This role will be responsible for our various content management products such as Drupal CMS (web), XML (print), and Widen DAM (assets) and defining the long-term vision and strategy for content management across programs, channels, and audiences. This role will also own the development of our structured content model, implementation model, taxonomy, publishing workflows, among other things, with an aim of creating consistency and efficiency across the organization.
As a discipline lead, you will work closely with other discipline leads (Design Research, UX, Creative Strategy, Product Management, Visual Design, Project Management, Development), to help define and refine the role, intersection points, collaboration model, and handoff process for Content Engineering and Web Production in the context of a cross-functional working team. Additionally, given the cross-organizational nature of this position, you will partner closely with the Communications team and key stakeholders within the Programs.
Lastly, we are looking for someone who knows how to build a team and who believes in the power of teaching by doing. Every person on our team is a maker, and we believe that the process of making advances the skill sets of our craft. You should be skilled and comfortable with presenting to a range of leadership levels, from Program Owners to the Executive Leadership Team, to drive buy-in for the work in a manner that instills confidence in leadership at the College Board.
What you’ll do:
- Lead an effort to stand up a global content repository, considering how Drupal CMS, XML, and Widen platforms fit into the new content management architecture
- Develop and build out our global taxonomy and implementing the taxonomy into our CMS workflows
- Manage and prioritize the Drupal CMS backend for improved workflows
- Support Communications and Program partners in an effort to develop a audience-based content calendar, serving as a roadmap to content creation, production, and distribution
- Oversee the Drupal 8 transition helping to define the roadmap, processes, and collaboration model to move all of our Drupal 7 properties to Drupal 8 by November 2021
- Help establish a content governance model for our web properties, working with Communications and Programs to determine the best approach, including if/how we expand the “DIY” model of training people to publish content within the Drupal CMS
- Train personnel and establish reporting structures that enables your team to grow and thrive
- Drive alignment within the team and with Program Owners; championing design ideas that fulfill organizational goals
- Partner with Design Research, UX, Visual Design, Creative Strategy, Product Management, and Project Management discipline leads to formalize how this new discipline will interact with other discipline roles
- Design presentations that communicate the thinking behind our approach in a way that is clear, succinct, and tailored to the presentation audience
- Pitch in on project work where needed, while continuously working on the large-scale project of improving how we work across the team
- A natural leader looking to build a new discipline within an older organization and isn’t afraid of taking on large-scale systemic change (with the necessary support)
- A strong negotiator that is willing to collaborate and find a middle ground
- Someone who is dedicated and passionate about our non-profit mission
- A great storyteller using both data and words
- Experienced working in agile, or iterative design and delivery environments.
- Effective, but easy-going – someone that is fun to work with and really thrives in a collaborative environment
- A leader that is not afraid to speak up about what they feel is important, but also is strategic in picking their battles
- A person with a good sense of humor who isn’t afraid to try and fail (or succeed!)
- Able to provide relevant case studies and a portfolio of your work
- Have a minimum of 7 years experience in this or a related field
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a portfolio of your work through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.