Senior Quality Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Quality Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Senior Quality Engineer (SQE) will be responsible for ensuring continuously improving levels of quality and reliability in projects and existing production functionality in support of operations service delivery. The SQE will work closely with all teams necessary to implement, measure, and improve quality standards for new and existing production functionality. The SQE will develop systems, processes and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of quality control checks in the production environment. The SQE will work closely with CB business process owners, CB data content owners, external operations vendors and CB IT staff to ensure that operational data flows are properly executed, and appropriate data quality controls are developed and maintained.
The Senior Quality Engineer reports to the Senior Director of Ops Quality Control.
What you’ll do
- Analyze and understand the full battery of data flows between all operational entities involved in processing related to the CB Programs supported by the Operations organization.
- Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the department.
- Develop and maintain the procedures needed to manage and ensure the successful completion of all operational data transfers, including managing normal business-as-usual operations for data flows as well as ensuring that exception conditions, alternate flows, and unusual circumstances have appropriate quality measures in place to ensure error free processing.
- Work with necessary technical support teams and business process owners for investigation and resolution of production quality control failures that affect operations service delivery.
- Support team in the development, analysis, and preparation of status reports.
- Establish quality goals and success criteria for QC operational activities.
- Assist teams to resolve complex risks and any related project or production issues.
- Coordinate and maintain the production QC schedule.
- Responsible to meet QC productivity and quality goals for all deliverable and projects.
- Serve as representative to the IT development organization for development efforts related to vendor data flows and operational data quality. This role involves working with business process owners, vendors, and IT staff to ensure that data quality requirements are well understood and documented including field level business semantics for data in operational databases, requirements and business rules for data validation, requirements for data retention, and business continuity.
- Communicate with Supervisors, Managers, and other leaders on risks and mitigation plans for projects and existing systems. Other duties as assigned.
- S. Degree in information systems, engineering, operations, or related technical field; Minimum 4-5 years’ experience in transactional quality back-office operations.
- Experience working with IT database administrators, development teams, and infrastructure support organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to perform both routine daily tasks and highly skilled analysis and complex project work.
- Proven experience in change and configuration management.
- Experience in implementing quality controls and supporting processes for all aspects of the technical and operational architecture for complex enterprise systems.
More about you
- Highly collaborative individual with ability to influence others and build strong professional relationships
- Strong analytical thinking and structured problem-solving ability
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues in writing and orally at appropriate levels of detail for executive audiences, business stakeholders and technical teams
- Flexibility and desire to quickly adapt to new methods, situations, and various requirements
- Solid organizational, time & task management skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple situations simultaneously
- Ability to work closely with highly technical IT database, development and infrastructure staff, including high degree of comfort with IT artifacts and terminology (e.g. E-R diagrams, data dictionaries, interface specifications, use cases)
- Strong computer literacy, with focus on databases, but also including Microsoft Office applications
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.