Senior Director, Technology Procurement
About the College Board
We are a mission focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
This position reports to the Chief Procurement Officer (CPO). The Senior Director oversees and guides a team of strategic sourcing managers focused on the acquisition of technology-based goods and services on behalf of IT and business units. The role establishes strategic goals that optimize the value of Procurement to internal stakeholders. This position is also responsible for insuring that ongoing tactical purchasing support activities are effective and efficient.
- Carry out Procurement mission and vision in accordance with CPO’s established goals, performance standards, and agreed upon best practices. Provide advice and feedback to the CPO on all procurement related matters.
- Manage a team of strategic sourcing managers. Establish team and individual targets for cost savings, process improvements, and professional development of the team. Coordinate with CPO to insure training and tools are provided that meet the needs of the team.
- Supervise a Procurement Specialist who provides tactical purchasing support for the strategic sourcing team. Manage PO and invoice exceptions and discrepancies to optimize the potential for achieving automatic two/three-way system match.
- Identify opportunities to improve procurement processes, increase efficiency and streamline reporting activities of the procurement team. Manage the processing of sourcing events, purchase requisitions, purchase orders and supplier contracts.
- Insure compliance with Procurement policies and associated process documentation. Work with stakeholders to educate and train them on the value of engaging Procurement at the beginning of the project lifecycle to optimize the value of supplier relationships.
- Guide strategic sourcing managers in the development of category plans for enterprise spend on products and services related to the categories they are responsible for. Travel as necessary to attend conferences, visit suppliers and network with peers to identify and apply best practices.
- Provide the CPO with regular status and performance measurement reports. Keep IT executives and technology stakeholders informed about team’s engagement level and successes/obstacles on IT projects.
- Conduct periodic business reviews with key suppliers to insure expectations are being met and opportunities to improve the value of the supplier relationship are explored. Engage key technology stakeholders early and often to ensure that budget roadmaps are shared in a timely manner.
All divisions across College Board, Accounts Payable staff, Vendor Relationship Managers, Finance Liaisons, Contract Managers, Procurement Specialists, Buyers and business practice leadership.
Extensive vendor interaction and contact with consultants and other service providers hired by the College Board.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year undergraduate degree is required. An MBA degree is a plus.
- Minimum of ten years procurement experience with demonstrated progression of increasing levels of responsibility, including three plus years of experience in IT procurement environments.
- Demonstrated success managing high impact projects and process improvements.
- Experience working with procurement systems, including ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems and eProcurement tools for sourcing, supplier relationship management, contract management, etc.
- ISM and/or other approved certifications a plus.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Superior quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Superior critical and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent communications skills, with the ability to articulate information clearly and succinctly in a variety of communications settings and styles. Must have the ability to think on his/her feet and be comfortable in informal meetings as well as more formal presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to foster and maintain positive and productive working relationships at all levels of the organization; excellent influencing skills
- Self-directed requiring limited guidance and /or structure
- Competent with contract management tools and resources
- Financial, Legal and Supply Chain experience or knowledge
- Good computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.