Cloud Software Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Cloud Software Engineer I for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
As a Cloud Software Engineer I, the ideal candidate will have designed, developed and implemented solutions that include not only the code that services business functionality, but the underlying infrastructure required to run that code and the systems required to deploy it. The candidate will also possess technical skills and experience in the virtual infrastructure domain Amazon Web Services and have knowledge and experience with continuous delivery systems.
The Cloud Software Engineer I, will be responsible for building software products and data pipelines, using an array of diverse technologies, including NodeJS and/or Python. This position will work on a small team solving high-priority challenges relating to educational content development. Working within the Information Technology division and across Operations and key business units, the Cloud Software Engineer will analyze procedures, and design and implement solutions to attain high data quality and process automation.
Additionally, candidate will be responsible for highly complex java coding, managing small sections of ongoing projects and closely adhering to deadlines. Candidate will also take responsibility for creating design specifications, unit testing, and preparing technical documentation.
The Cloud Software Engineer I must have excellent written and oral communication skills and be adaptive to the changing needs of the organization.
What you’ll do
- Design, develop and implement solutions, based on a set of standards and processes which establish consistency across the enterprise data, reduce risk, and promote efficiencies in support of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Plays supporting role in understanding business needs in context, from user perspective
- Assist in the development of full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality.
- Write complex code, building infrastructure as code, work with immutable “cloud” based environments, and build the supporting automated toolsets to test and deploy the systems they develop.
- Responsible for the quality of their work; will develop and implement a set of quality criteria and the associated validation method to ensure that any deliverable meets the expected quality levels of our customers, use quality management to ensure quality levels are maintained, seek new approaches and techniques to improve quality levels, employ reviews and observations to maintain the quality and continuous improvement process, and analyze the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance.
- Use metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames.
- Actively review their own and the team’s work processes and implement improvements seen from other teams or in industry to drive continuous improvement of the team’s efficiency, speed, and quality.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 2-3 years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience with full stack development.
More about you
- Experience with Distributed Service Standards (SOAP, REST, GraphQL)
- Highly proficient in developing effective UIs using Bootstrap and front-end frameworks, like React, Vue.js, or similar
- Experience with revision code source code repositories in particular git
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments
- Knowledge in the knowledge of programming languages, relational databases, and NoSQL databases
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or similar scripting techniques
- Practical Linux based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud based environment
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new technologies as required
- Ability to work independently
- Strong problem solving and analytic skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Experience with automated testing tools (i.e. Jest, Cucumber, Selenium, JMeter) are a plus
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.