Managing Architect, Integration
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Managing Architect- Integration for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
Managing Architect is responsible for leading the team of engineers to design and standardize our organization’s infrastructure architecture including the selection of specific technologies and services. Their work is both tactical and strategic.
The Managing Architect will focus on engineering innovative, strategic and long-term solutions that align with Information Technology’s technology strategy. Incumbents will have the necessary technical and leadership experience, knowledge, and skills to establish themselves as domain experts within the organization. Additionally, they will manage a team of engineers, provide direction, coaching, and feedback on the staff’s performance reviews.
The ideal candidate is responsible for creating integrated solutions between commercial products and services and College Board’s systems. Solutions encompass technical integration as well as business process integration. The architect will collaborate with stakeholders from multiple departments and will be responsible for creating and executing the solution.
What you’ll do
- Drive the definition of technology standards. Work with SMEs in various technologies to define standards and implement/maintain the consistency across all environments.
- Responsible for the creation, implementation and maintenance of technology road maps incorporating the life cycle of all relevant technology components.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to gather network design requirements.
- Design and implement ‘right sized’ and ‘right sourced’ technical solutions in support of business and IT initiatives.
- Establish and maintain alignment of technical assets across domains (e.g., application, data, security, performance testing, etc.) within the enterprise portfolio.
- Adapt/refine the road map to continuously meet the evolving needs of College Board landscape through implementation/adoption of cutting-edge technologies.
- Mentor, coach and provide feedback to the members of the team.
- Manage work culture to ensure the mission and operating principles of College Board are consistently recognized and utilized to promote a productive and fair work environment.
- Manage the escalation process in real time during production incidents to insure proper triage, prioritization, troubleshooting and escalation to minimize services interruptions or downtime.
- Continuously improve, develop, and implement best practices in accordance with IT standards and procedures and the Agile Maturity Model (AMM).
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field / equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience in the designing/architecting and implementing large scale solutions
- Demonstrated professional competence in the principles and practices of integration as they relate to:
- Driving key activities such as
- Identifying risks early in the life cycle
- Increasing communication among stakeholders
- Clarifying quality attribute requirements
- Improving architecture documentation
- Creating a documented basis for architectural decisions
- Must have experience managing business processes, budgets and vendors and must be able to demonstrate an ability to motivate and influence other team members and peers across multiple functional areas to achieve financial and operational objectives
- Demonstrated experience in leading and mentoring technical staff in the development and usage of technology architectures and solutions
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain good customer working relationships
- Working knowledge of and experience with other enterprise domains (application, security, infrastructure data, etc.)
More about you
- Responsible - assume ownership of technical services, all aspects including delivering value via outcomes and continuous improvement
- Methodical – work is planned with a purpose and approach such that cost, quality and risk are balanced.
- Disciplined – work is managed according to plan; points of variability are isolated and controlled
- Innovative – employ creativity to devise effective and efficient strategies
- Must be able to multitask and lead and manage team members simultaneously while providing appropriate direction and oversight.
- Demonstrated critical thinking - including abilities in analysis and problem solving
- Experienced in “Systems Thinking” – the ability to break problems into manageable pieces, and to see how the pieces interact with one another and can be assembled into an integrated, functioning, “whole” system.
- Excellent verbal and written communication capabilities
- Skillful at facilitation and negotiation
- Effective manager with strong emotional intelligence – self-awareness, confidence, ability to manage conflict, and empathy
- Ability to effectively respond to technical questions and issues – i.e., effective in communicating complex technology concepts to diverse (both technical and non-technical) audiences at all levels in the organization
- Passion for technology, with an ability to understand and assess new technologies, and their potential applicability to business needs in an efficient, effective manner.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.