Product Owner, College Access Digital Products
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Product Owner – College Access Digital Products. This position can be based in the Reston, VA or Washington, DC area.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization, and powerful force in the lives of American students. To fulfill our purpose of clearing a path for students to own their future, we offer access, opportunity, and excellence to millions of students each year. Over the past five years, the College Board has been undergoing a transformation. We’ve redesigned the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and many AP courses and exams, and we’ve introduced the PSAT 10, PSAT 8/9, and Official SAT® Practice on Khan Academy, all with great success.
The College Board is now focused on re-imagining our digital ecosystem, creating tailored experiences for each of our audience types. We are looking for an experienced product owner to evolve our college planning tools with the goal of increasing college readiness and college completion for all students, keeping a special focus on outcomes for underserved populations. Success in this role means not just the satisfaction of a complex task well-executed, but the knowledge that tens of thousands of students are more successful in their college and career readiness thanks to your work.
The Product Owner – College Access Digital Products should have proven success leading the full digital product development lifecycle with a proven track record in delivering digital products that generate substantial value.
About Your Work
In this position, you will:
- Support a shared program vision across the organization; ensure program objectives and updates are communicated to stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Leverage an Agile mindset to collaborate with a diverse set of researchers, experience designers and technologists to solve critical business problems.
- Drive product strategy based on research, concepting and testing, translating findings into prioritized initiatives and features.
- Articulate the product vision through tools such as roadmaps, backlogs, user stories, and acceptance criteria.
- Lead the analysis and planning of initiatives and features into a prioritized and sequenced backlog of epics and stories for scrum teams.
- Make key design choices, define technical requirements, and ensure that development roadmap stays on track.
- Act as the scrum product owner for scrum teams and participate in all ceremonies.
- Feed and maintain a prioritized backlog (2 dev-ready sprints) and convey the long-term product vision and short-term goals for sprints.
- Coordinate work between dual-track design and development agile teams that are geographically dispersed.
- Develop sprint and deployment plans aligned with student journey milestones and business priorities.
- Prioritize across multiple opportunities and stakeholder needs using deep empathy and understanding of students, company strategy and market trends.
- Report up and out on initiative health and risks, triaging issues when needed, and developing a regular cadence of communications.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of best practices in both technology development and methods for empowering college access.
- Stay focused on student success, even as the challenges of a large organization and a complex educational system can seem overwhelming.
More About You
- Mission driven — Strongly committed to expanding educational opportunity.
- Inquisitive and solution-oriented — Has a passion for learning and looks to apply new knowledge to practical solutions.
- Strategic — Understands how to design products based on the intersection of business goals and user needs, using innovative design paradigms and latest technologies to create unique and effective experience features.
- Master of the details that matter — Pursues excellence rather than perfection, based on a keen understanding of user needs.
- Adapts quickly — Demonstrates ability to efficiently and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Get it done attitude — Owns a willingness to work hard and do what it takes to get the job done well.
- Communicator – Able to present in a compelling manner that emphasizes the important intersection of business and technology.
- Innovative — Moves quickly to a rough-and-ready solution that can be tested against user needs.
- Collaborative Leader — Builds strong relationships with collaborators and leverages their strengths and resources in strategic ways. Can collaboratively drive teams and stakeholders with disparate goals.
- Productive — Well organized, able to multi-task, able to prioritize with minimal direction.
- 7+ years of experience and a track record of success in a combination of digital product development (required), digital product management (required), education technology, or consumer facing digital platforms.
- Served as scrum product owner for a dedicated team of designers, content strategists, engineers, architects, and QA to translate program vision into technical product requirements. CSPO certification is a plus.
- Executed against a product roadmap that included content management, data services, and front-end development.
- Led the design, launch, and adoption of a scaled technology product or platform with complex and interrelated work streams. Experience evolving a legacy technology platform a plus.
- Experience developing digital products for students, high schools or colleges, and understanding of the unique challenges associated with education technology a plus.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.