The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a new position in the Procurement Department. This position will be based at College Board’s Reston, VA office.
About the College Board
We are a mission focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities and Advocacy.
The College Board Procurement Department is organized as a centralized shared services function that is focused on category management of enterprise spend while at the same time providing each business unit and support division with a single point of contact for all procurement related questions and concerns.
About the position
The Sourcing Manager is responsible for managing all procurement related activities for assigned spend categories across the enterprise. The role establishes strategic goals that optimize the value of Procurement to internal stakeholders and is accountable for the results from strategic sourcing initiatives, optimizing supplier relationships, and effective contract management, all in accordance with organizational policies and industry best practices. As the category manager of assigned spend categories, the Director has the responsibility for carrying out all activities related to sourcing, requisition-to-invoice processing, supplier relationship management, and contract management in accordance with organizational policies and industry best practices. Specifically, this position researches market intelligence, develops and implements sourcing strategies, conducts competitive bidding, evaluates potential vendor qualifications, develops supplier performance KPIs, and negotiates formal supplier agreements. In addition, the Director collaborates with key stakeholders to mitigate risks associated with legal terms & conditions, data security, insurance requirements and government regulations. This position is also responsible for insuring that ongoing tactical purchasing support activities are effective and efficient. The Sourcing Manager is responsible for designing and implementing campaigns and event spaces that communicate the value of membership and the College Board mission. The individual in this role leverages written communication, presentation, and operational expertise to simultaneously build relationships with members and oversee seamless execution of event exhibits.
What you’ll do
- Manage tactical procurement activities (requisitions, purchase orders, contract signatures, etc.) throughout the procure-to-pay (P2P) process.
- Lead strategic procurement activities (sourcing events, negotiations and contracting process).
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with internal business areas, requisitioners and vendors by establishing and maintaining regular check-ins with business areas and other stakeholders throughout the year.
- Acquire a solid understanding of internal customer’s business needs through early collaboration in the life cycle of a project requiring the purchasing process.
- Coordinate with key procurement process stakeholders (business/project owners, requisitioners, Accounts Payable, Governance Risk & Compliance, and Legal departments) to ensure their inclusion in the procurement process, when necessary.
- Be a highly competent user of eProcurement suite of tools for all procurement functions in accordance with College Board’s Procurement Policy.
- Evaluate contractual terms and conditions and coordinates with the Legal department to support compliance with corporate legal policies. Provide contract management guidance and expertise to the business areas as necessary.
- Assists with the overall project management responsibility and accountability for coordinating internal cross-functional team activities related to vendor selection and performance, vendor relationship management, policy development, standardizing contract management activities across the organization.
- Communicate Procurement’s policies and train both internal customers and suppliers on College Board’s procurement process. Provide guidance to business areas for structuring and analyzing requisitions and purchase orders to determine that they are complete and accurate.
- Work closely with Accounts Payable, vendors and internal stakeholders to assist with resolving invoice matching, troubleshooting and reconciliation problems, coordinating with vendors and internal staff members as necessary.
- Provide outstanding customer service including, but not limited to, addressing inquiries in a timely manner, becoming a subject matter expert regarding assigned spend categories and the procurement process, and resolving issues by effectively troubleshooting problems and determining root causes.
- Support other Procurement team members when absences and work schedules require additional resources be deployed. Other duties as assigned.
- A four-year undergraduate degree. An MBA would be a plus.
- A minimum of 3+ years of procurement related experience.
More about you
- A proven negotiator with skills acquired through formal training and on the job experience.
- Superior at quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
- Able to demonstrate critical and strategic thinking / decision-making skills.
- A strong written and oral communicator who is comfortable in informal meetings as well as formal presentation settings.
- Able to foster and maintain positive, collaborative, and productive working relationships at all levels of the organization through excellent influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Curious to learn new information, tasks and skills to solve problems with a strong work ethic.
- Self-directed requiring limited guidance and /or structure.
- Competent with electronic procurement and contract management tools and resources.
- Equipped with above average computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams).
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.