Director, Event Planning
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a new position in the Membership Department. This position may be remote or based at a College Board office.
About the College Board
We are a mission focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities and Advocacy.
About Membership Events
College Board events brings together dynamic professionals and thought leaders across disciplines to address access and success issues that challenge—and inspire—educators at all levels and in all professions. Our conferences are solution driven, aimed at empowering educators with the knowledge, perspective, and material they need to best serve their organizations. Member organizations include high schools, districts, higher education institutions and systems, nonprofits, and government agencies.
About the position
The Director, Event Planning, is responsible for delivery of College Board’s largest and most complex events. The individual in this role leverages technology, planning and operational expertise to seamlessly execute College Board events. Coordinates housing, site selection, staffs, food, transportation, and audio or visual equipment. Monitors and controls event budgets and negotiates all necessary contracts. This person works in a matrixed based team where information and ideas are freely shared. Flexibility, adaptability and diplomacy are essential.
What you’ll do
- Implement a strategic approach to event planning
- Brainstorm, pilot, and implement new event concepts
- Scout and inspect event venues
- Work with vendors to get bids and determine best fits for the budget and goals of the event
- Coordinate event logistics and services, including technology and equipment needed to run the event, food, drinks, transportation, lodging, and more
- Manage the budget and ensure event stays within guidelines; ensure vendors are paid
- Collaborate with other team members on event execution
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working at an education management organization or a professional membership association
- Highly skilled & experienced at negotiating catering, Audio Visual and housing contract terms
- Technical skills and current knowledge of industry trends
More about you
- Willing to travel
- Clear, compelling and persuasive in your communications
- Eager to create, maintain and activate relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Highly skilled with technology including: CVENT & Passkey or similar platforms
- Highly proficient with MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, SalesForce
- Flexible, adaptable, autonomous, collaborative
- Committed to expanding educational opportunity
Communication skills: Excellent listening, speaking, and writing skills will facilitate your ability to communicate with vendors, event attendees, and staff.
Attention to detail: Your ability to notice the most minute details of an event, from the typeface on the invitations to the kind of salad that will be served at the reception, is essential.
Coordination: You must be able to work alongside other people and adjust your actions to theirs.
Problem-solving: You have to be adept at not only solving problems but maintaining your composure when doing so.
Interpersonal skills: The ability to establishing and maintain relationships with vendors is essential and will make your life easier when it is time to plan future events.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted