Market Management Director/Senior Director, Puerto Rico and Latin America
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Market Management Director/Senior Director for our Latin America region. This position will be based in our San Juan, Puerto Rico office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in 2015, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. In this role you will be part of a team that drives strategic partnerships resulting in meaningful outcomes that propel students towards rewarding college and career opportunities.
This director will be responsible for business development and customer interaction activities throughout the College Board’s Puerto Rico & Latin America region. The Director will have individual accountability for volume and growth goals in their specific markets and with their accounts. Consistent with the mission of the College Board, the Director will plan, manage, and successfully carry out the major responsibilities for developing and supporting strategic business plans. The Director will work as the lead in maintaining and building relationships with schools, school networks, provincial/state agencies, national Ministries of Education, and other partners within assigned markets.
- You possess native fluency in Spanish and knowledge of secondary education in Puerto Rico and the Latin America region (including, but not limited to, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Panama, and other Spanish-speaking countries in Central and South America) as well as the broader political/social environment impacting education.
- You are an enterprising, self-starter who thrives on new challenges and will find ways to get in the door of key influencers to earn their trust, respect, and business.
- You are results-oriented and comfortable with setting and being accountable for volume and growth goals.
- You have the creativity to envision how the College Board Puerto Rico and Latin America’s flagship programs (PAA, PIENSE, CEPA, Nivel Avanzado) can serve students and educators within the educational context of assigned markets, both currently and in the future.
- You are adept at collaborating with a team in person and remotely.
- You possess a passion for education and a deep commitment to the College Board’s mission of promoting educational equity, access, and excellence for students of all backgrounds.
- You understand the balance that the College Board needs to strike as a mission-focused organization operating within a competitive business environment to improve educational opportunities and outcomes for students.
What you will do:
- Develop, support, and execute on strategic business plans to drive adoption of College Board programs across designated markets to meet volume and growth goals.
- Manage accounts by forecasting program volume and growth, preparing volume and growth activity reports, collecting and maintaining updated client information, and developing new contacts and relationships with key decision-makers, partners, and stakeholders.
- Execute on all activities which will help meet volume, growth, and mission goals such as meeting with outside individuals or groups to provide information about College Board programs and services; maintaining records of contact and follow up; obtaining feedback from outside individuals or entities regarding programs and services; and conducting workshops, presentations, training, and program demonstrations as appropriate.
- Maintain existing relationships and build new relationships with key decision-makers and influencers in schools, school networks, provincial/state agencies, national Ministries of Education, vendors, and other educational partners, agencies, institutions, and players in assigned markets with the express objective of growing usage of College Board PRLA programs in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Manage & support independent contractor(s) within markets to identify opportunities for College Board program expansion and develop a strategic business plan for building & sustaining new relationships and driving adoption of College Board programs in their markets to achieve volume and growth goals.
- Communicate effectively the expectations for independent contractor(s) and guide and support the execution of their work on the ground in assigned markets.
- Communicate all market-based trends in education, political atmosphere, and competitive environment with Market Management and PRLA leadership teams.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of education trends and issues as well as College Board programs and expertly articulate the value proposition of College Board programs in a compelling manner in both public and private settings with government leaders, school leaders, educators, students, parents, and other influencers in education in the assigned markets.
- Build College Board’s reputation and brand with constituents in the region while balancing the sensitive nature of our programs in the political context.
- Collaborate with relevant PRLA team members to develop marketing plans and ensure proper execution to achieve agreed upon goals.
- Assist with resolution of escalated issues from schools/parents/educators and ensure appropriate response by College Board programs and functional units.
- Maintain Customer Relationship Management software up-to-date with relevant institutional customer information, such as leads, contacts, opportunities, and agreements.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience performing similar functions or equivalent work experience.
- Direct experience in assessment, curriculum, or student achievement initiatives is strongly preferred.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Outstanding professional written and oral communication and presentation skills in Spanish and English
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to education leaders, educators, other state and district constituents and internal stakeholders at various levels
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity is a must
- Exceptional teamwork skills and the ability to work with a diverse set of colleagues, across functions and divisions
- Ability to effectively lead and facilitate meetings, and to build and cultivate superior relationships with internal teams as well as with professionals and leaders in the education industry
- Ability to think creatively about fresh approaches to challenges
- Excellent analytic and quantitative skills, including ability to identify and obtain needed data to confirm/backup hypotheses
- Ability to discern key customer objections & intentions, and corresponding development of strategies to achieve business closure while meeting educational goals
- Ability to understand and interest in dealing with complex, nuanced subject matter
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to problem-solve strategically and effectively with sound judgment and strong decision-making
- Ability to set and meet budget, deadlines, and sales goals
- Ability to effectively lead /coordinate multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Expertise in PowerPoint with an emphasis on displaying complex information in a digestible format
- Proficiency with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software tools and a commitment to leveraging them for effective customer management across the organization
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications
- Detail oriented, organized, and self-assured
- Flexible and adaptable, able to manage shifting priorities
- Strong negotiation skills and positive can-do attitude
- Interest in working for a mission-oriented, not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the education system in Puerto Rico and Latin America
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively (50% or more as needed to be successful in the role) within assigned regions
- Occasional weekend work is required
This position will be subject to a background check.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.