The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Solution Architect for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Data and Technology Architecture group of the College Board seeks a Solution Architect to work within the Reporting team. In this data explosion age, processing, analysis, and management of data are the core activities of almost all businesses. College Board is looking for an experienced technologist with technical depth and strong interpersonal skills who is passionate about working with customers to help build applications at scale. This includes enabling innovation through continuous deployment in DevOps, building web & mobile scale-out applications, using RDBMS (MySQL, AWS Aurora, Oracle, SQL Server, and Postgres) and/or NoSQL (AWS DynamoDB, MongoDB, and Cassandra) data stores, building IoT use cases and implementing big data analytics w/ technologies like Hadoop, Spark, EMR, RedShift, and Kinesis. The Solution Architect is accountable for the comprehensive high-level design, functionality, economics, and architectural compliance of project solution options; they are responsible for delivering EA-compliant project solution architectures that meet the business’ functional requirements. The Solution Architect will identify core and important features for Program and Business and realize them with state-of-art technologies. This individual will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate and solve systems problems. In addition, the Solution Architect provides consultative technical leadership across the organization, from strategic decision making down to the project planning level
What you’ll do
- Architect and deliver optimal solutions that are aligned with an EA perspective.
- Create synergies and reuse within and across projects.
- Establish Data Engineering team architectural standards and strategies as the norm.
- Lead projects through gating reviews.
- Confer with stakeholders to define business requirements for complex systems development – from both functional and non-functional perspectives (i.e. concept of operations, performance, test, cost, schedule, training, support and disposal).
- Collaborate with other architects –data architects, technical architects, business architects, domain architects, or enterprise architects -- and marry their various requirements into one solution.
- Model business and systems processes based on findings through use case scenarios, workflow diagrams, and data models.
- Evaluate alternative architectures with respect to their composition, e.g. people, hardware, software, facilities, policies, documents, risks and cost.
- Create systems models, data models, specifications, diagrams and charts to provide architectural expertise, direction, and assistance to project and development teams.
- Validate the architecture’s compliance to the requirements and verifies the system’s compliance to the architecture.
- Develop, document, and communicate plans for investing in systems architecture, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
- Contribute to technology strategy and planning. Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
- Participate in the architecture roadmap activities.
- Review new and existing systems design projects and procurement or outsourcing plans for compliance with standards and architectural plans.
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce system standards as necessary.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team
- Education - Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science or systems engineering (Master’s degree preferred).
- Professional training and/or certifications using Amazon Web Services, Oracle, Linux, Java, and Microsoft tools and technologies desired.
- 10+ years of general experience in systems design and integration
- Architecture Experience - 5 years minimum across multiple disciplines (Requirements Engineering, Risk management, Technology planning, design, development, System Integration, or Quality Assurance).
More about you
- Extensive experience in developing strategic solution architecture plans.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Proven experience in systems and network design and development.
- Strong understanding of information processing principles and practices.
- Experience with “on-premise to cloud” migrations or IT transformations
- Experience architecting/operating solutions build on AWS
- Technical knowledge of Cloud Computing, DevOps, and Microservices.
- Strong knowledge of COTS evaluation principles and practices.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong consultative skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills and customer service orientation.
- Lifelong Learner – what is learned today will be obsolete tomorrow; demonstrated continuous learning
- Willingness/ability to work off-shifts (evening, night-time, weekend) as needed
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.