Senior Director, AP Digital Product Development
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Director, AP Digital Product Development.
About the College Board
We are a mission focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities and Advocacy.
the Senior Director will play the lead product management role for digital AP assessments. The Senior Director will be accountable for working with the AP Program, Operations, IT, Assessment Design and Development, Research/Psychometrics, External Vendors as well as the Marketing and Communications teams to ensure a successful launch of the digital AP assessments.
This person will be responsible for working with the product development, operations team and various project work streams (especially Customer Management and Test Delivery) to develop a user experience for the digital version of the assessments that is compatible with and complements the AP program. A key element of the role will be ensuring that the digital solution can be implemented effectively into delivery models for states, districts and schools. The Senior Director will work with the AP program team to build clear business cases for these delivery models within the assessment system. The Senior Director will be responsible for identifying and managing trade-offs in implementation models, and for building a roadmap that balances stated customer needs with other strategic program needs. The Senior Director will work with internal partners to identify, configure, or develop capabilities needed to meet the needs of the market and launch a fully functional solution. Delivering a high-stakes test such as the AP exam digitally and within K12 testing environments is a unique challenge, and he/she will be responsible for doing “whatever it takes” to ensure a successful pilot delivery and expansion.
- Participate in the definition and configuration of digital assessments and development of short-term, medium-term and long-term implementation plans.
- Develop the business case for a digital product offering including definition of the market opportunity, customer segments, target markets, financial forecast and key areas of risk.
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the K-12 school market, competitive landscape, trends, offerings, and requirements.
- Develop a delivery model that provides a user experience to schools and students that provides compatible or complementary value to the pencil and paper assessments
- Understand and drive a cohesive resolution of all implementation and maintenance issues related to digital assessments within the broader context of the assessment system including giving direction to customer service and Operations on defining, assigning and maintain roles within the digital platform, answering customer implementation issues, rolling over/cleaning out data in the digital platform between admins, etc. and resolving escalations.
- Work with the Operations and IT team to ensure that the necessary system configuration is occurring in the desired time-frame to meet AP requirements.
- Work with Assessment Design and Development, Pyschometrics/Research, External Vendors and Operations to ensure that any test delivery issues that arise from the chosen platform are understood and balanced against scoring concerns.
- Develop business requirements documents for the digital product features.
- Develop and maintain relationships internally and externally in order to ensure that a fully integrated strategy is developed and implemented, including, but not limited to, Sales, Marketing, Assessment Development, Operations, IT, and external constituents.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with internal colleagues across multiple functions, participating in the definition, implementation and refinement of the digital assessment solution and cross-functional operational planning to implement the digital assessment pilot and expansion.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field; MBA a plus
- At least 7-10 years of progressively responsible and related work experience including planning, building and operating online testing programs
- Experience required in education, testing and/or assessment fields
- Exceptional product development, user requirements definition, business management, analytic skills required
- Experience configuring and implementing online digital test delivery, mode preferred; ideally in either very high stakes testing implementation or large scale K12 implementations
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Ability to plan, structure, and complete detailed business analyses with minimal supervision
- Ability to synthesize information and proactively develop thoughtful recommendations
- Ability to judge severity of situations/issues and channel appropriately
- Ability to coordinate cross-functional teams and lead through influence
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and work independently to attain goals
- Understanding of College Board and AP Program structure, policies, and procedures a plus
- Project management skills and experience are required
- Good interpersonal skills. Ability to work with diverse set of colleagues, across functions, from different organizations, disciplines, etc.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively contribute as part of a larger team, working towards an overarching organizational goal
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.