Director, Digital Writing Tools
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director of Digital Writing Tools.
About the College Board
We are a mission focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities and Advocacy.
The Director is responsible for conceptualizing and designing how technology supports writing skill development and practice across College Board programs and products. She/he will work closely with content teams to understand the goals and objectives, the research foundations, and the product design specifications of College Board instruction and assessment programs to develop an enterprise strategy for how writing is supported with digital tools. She/he will bring a craftsperson’s approach to content development, ensuring every word is chosen purposefully and every activity is designed with care and originality. She/he will create content design specifications, will use evidence to drive decision-making, and will collaborate with external partners to realize product visions. The Director will work as part of program and partner teams to create, evaluate, and review content in support of program goals.
- Leads the development of a cohesive strategy and roadmap for digital writing support across all College Board programs and products that considers the shared goals across all products but ensures individual product, program, or assessment goals are incorporated as well
- Maintains a deep understanding of writing research, pedagogy, assessment, and best-practices through ongoing review of literature, conference attendance, and collaboration with colleagues and partners.
- Leads content design work for writing practice for digital tools across partners and in support of College Board instruction and assessment programs, developing and managing specifications as well as authoring and reviewing content for delivery.
- Responsible for working with College Board programs and partner organizations to develop digital content, based on data and research, that is accurate and aligned with program goals and objectives
- Responsible for documenting final content design specifications based on iterative testing and evaluation cycles
- Works as an extension of College Board product teams to develop high-quality digital content that is delivery ready within programs and allows product teams to stay focused on core product goals
- Responsible for providing input into the content design and development timelines which will be incorporated into overall project plans for partnerships
- Helps identify ways to update, extend, or evolve current program implementations to maximize constituent benefits and usage.
- Contributes to the evaluation of client needs and the development of configurations that support business processes.
- Informs communications and execution of prototpyes and proof-of-concepts for partner technologies
- Participates in the compiling and reviewing of proof-of-concept results and feedback to programs and appropriate follow up activities
Identification & Evaluation of Partnership Opportunities
- Maintains a deep understanding of the Ed-Tech landscape – through conference attendance and individual research - and identifies potential partner candidates based on program and product needs.
- Manages process to continuously review and update content based on student outcomes, user feedback, and program input
- Collaborates on the creation of program operating models, content and technology review processes, updating timelines, communications plans, ongoing data requirements, and resource needs
- Informs the development and execution of an ongoing research agenda to continuously evolve partner technologies and capabilities to support future needs of College Board programs.
- Bachelor's degree with a strong emphasis in writing, Master's degree preferred
- Strong experience with high school writing instruction, cross-disciplinary experience a plus
- Experience with instructional design and digital content development
- Familiarity with assessment design, development, and delivery
- Understanding of digital content and machine-learning tools
- Understanding of the secondary classroom and instruction, and how digital tools support learning
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Strong organization skills; detail oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, enjoys working collaboratively with people
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications and ability to develop charts and graphs
- Ability to effectively handle multiple situations simultaneously and comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to interact with highly technical co-workers and interpret results to less technical audiences
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Problem solving and negotiation skills
- Experience with budget and event preparation and management
- Familiarity with education technologies
- Ability to think outside the box and identify strategic opportunities to extend and/or leverage technology capabilities
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.