Accounting Specialist / Accounting
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Accounting Specialist for our Finance & Strategy department. This position is based in our New York, NY office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
Provide support in the financial reconciliation of a variety of transactions to include credit card and Tax for multiple merchant accounts. Assist in the application of AR payments from various sources in preparation for the monthly Billing and Accounts Receivable module close. All functions require focus, accuracy and attention to detail.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with daily and monthly reconciliation of credit card/ECP transactions to payment processor.
- Knowledge of credit card payment life cycle
- Familiarity of reporting available from Amex, Discover, and credit card processors to facilitate reconciliation
- Monthly analysis of several credit card clearing accounts including a reconciliation between sales revenue and payments.
- Run and analyze over 15 reports from 4 different systems daily used to complete various schedules.
- Reconciliation of sales tax from Ecommerce to Vertex
- Research and account for any transaction discrepancies and handle appropriately.
- Reconcile AR Exchange account.
- Monthly reconciliation of workshop revenue activity from various sources (IMIS, Cvent, Palisades) to bank activity.
- Job requires careful attention to detail so that all variances are researched, reported and handled in an appropriate fashion. Immediate escalation of any issues or continuing problems.
- Weekly reporting of all reconciliations, discrepancies or issues to management
- Must possess the ability to create professional and detailed reporting to all levels of management.
- Monthly credit card reporting to Management
- Apply AR payments for various lockboxes and bank accounts.
- Initiate refunds for unapplied AR when applicable.
- Prepare and record monthly journal entries for Non-AR transactions.
- Ability to assist with the monthly journal entry close process. Includes review of monthly journal entries for accuracy and supporting documentation.
RESEARCH AND OTHER
- Reconcile numerous GL state sales tax withholding accounts with the Vertex tax calculation engine.
- Monitor unapplied AR payments and research items needing resolution.
- Performs other Finance team tasks as assigned.
- Maintains regular contact with staff in own and other departments with the purpose of coordinating activities and schedules and collaborating to produce work.
- Maintains occasional contacts with members, customers, and vendors with the purpose of providing and receiving information.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required, plus two to four years of directly-related, progressively responsible work experience with financial reporting, reconciliation, and analysis.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple levels and areas within the organization, including internal business stakeholders and sponsors, and with external customers and vendors.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to document business needs and requirements and business processes
- Highly collaborative and consultative
- Ability to build strong, effective relationships with diverse teams
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple projects and priorities effectively and simultaneously, with attention to detail.
- Advanced user of MS Excel
- Proficient with Microsoft Office productivity tools (Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Thorough knowledge of basic financial and accounting terminology and processes
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong customer service orientation
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.