Customer Service Associate
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Customer Service Associate for our Operations department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
To provide first-line customer service support which includes performing order entry, answering inbound customer calls, making outbound calls and responding to emails regarding College Board Publications, programs, policies and procedures as well as technical support issues as needed. Escalates issues from external customers, vendors and Program staff through the proper channels.
What you’ll do
- Handles customer service inquiries received through the Call Center as well as e-mail, mail, fax and web in accordance with established company policies and procedures. Handles outbound calls as directed by the manager. Review and process (data enter) orders for College Board publications and Programs into the Board’s internal ordering systems (IMIS and IO) as well as vendor sites such as Pearson in accordance with established company policies and procedures.
- Listens and responds promptly and accurately to customer inquiries, issues, and requests, in a manner that meets the standards for service and call quality. Captures relevant data as necessary for further research.
- Develops a comprehensive knowledge of the College Board’s products and services. Attends training classes as needed. Keeps current and updated information (emails and training materials) readily accessible in order to effectively answer customer inquiries in a timely manner.
- Researches information and uses good judgment to resolve customer inquiries or problems within program guidelines and departmental procedures.
- Responsible for giving front-end customer service support to external vendors. Participates in special assignments under the direction of the manager.
- Processes credit cards orders for publications using the College Board’s internal order entry system. Use external systems as necessary for account management.
- Performs a variety of clerical support tasks which may include but are not limited to: verification of customer information for submission of sensitive documents, photocopying materials, opening, sorting and processing incoming mail and faxes for distribution.
- Ability to learn multiple customer service, program-specific and operational applications required to manage customer service issues
- Responsible for meeting individual quality and monitoring goals set by the department
- Prepares routine reports of information as needed
- High school diploma
- College degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum one to three years in a Customer Service environment
- Strong customer service background
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure/ be monitored for quality and speed of work
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel and Access highly desirable)
- Knowledge of Kana email management system, or similar application a plus
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Ability to interact with senior-level staff in various College Board departments and at ETS
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills
- Knowledge of higher education and K-12 helpful
- Accurate typing 60 wpm
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.