Director, Market Management, Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Sub-Saharan Africa
The College Board is conducting a search for a Director, Market Management - Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Sub-Saharan Africa.This position is based in our New York City Headquarters.
About the College Board
We are a mission-focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators, and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities, and Advocacy.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
About the position
The Director, Market Management will be responsible for business development and customer interaction activities in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Sub-Saharan Africa regions to maintain & expand usage of all College Board programs with focus on AP, the SAT suite of assessments (SAT and PSAT), pre-AP and SpringBoard. The Director will have individual accountability for volume & growth goals in their specific regions and with their accounts, as well as manage independent contractor(s) within region accountable for volume & growth goals. Consistent with the mission of the College Board, the Director will plan, manage and successfully carry out the major responsibilities for developing and supporting strategic business plans. The Director will work as the lead in maintaining and building relationships with schools, school networks, provincial/state agencies, national Ministries of Education, and other partners in MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa.
What you'll do
- Develop, support, and execute on strategic business plans to drive adoption of College Board programs (AP, SAT, PSAT, pre-AP, SpringBoard) across the MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa regions to meet volume & growth goals.
- Manage accounts in the MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa regions by forecasting program volume and growth, preparing volume and growth activity reports, collecting and maintaining updated client information, and developing new contacts and relationships with key decision-makers, partners, and stakeholders.
- Execute on all activities which will help meet volume and growth goals: meeting with outside individuals or groups to provide information about College Board programs and services; maintaining records of contact and follow up; obtaining feedback from outside individuals or entities regarding programs and services;
- Conducting workshops, presentations, training, and program demonstrations as appropriate.
- Maintain existing relationships and build new relationships with key decision-makers & influencers in schools, school networks, provincial/state agencies, national Ministries of Education, vendors, and other educational partners, agencies, institutions, and players within the MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa regions with the express objective of growing usage of College Board programs (AP, SAT, PSAT, pre-AP, SpringBoard) in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Manage & support independent contractor(s) within regions to identify opportunities for College Board program expansion and develop a strategic business plan for building & sustaining new relationships and driving adoption of College Board programs in their regions to achieve volume and growth goals.
- Communicate effectively the expectations for independent contractor(s) and guide and support the execution of their work on the ground in the MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa regions.
- Collaborate with relevant International team members to develop marketing plans and ensure proper execution to achieve agreed upon goals.
- Communicate all market-based trends in education, political atmosphere, and competitive environment with International team members and broader College Board staff.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of College Board programs and, with the guidance of the Executive Director, Market Management, expertly articulate the value proposition of College Board programs in a compelling manner in both public and private settings with government leaders, school leaders, educators, students, parents, and other influencers in education.
- Build College Board’s reputation and brand with constituents in the region while balancing the sensitive nature of our programs in the political context.
- Assist with resolution of escalated issues from schools/parents/educators and ensure appropriate response by College Board programs and functional units.
- You possess knowledge of secondary education in the MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa region as well as the broader political/social environment impacting education.
- You are an enterprising, self-starter who thrives on new challenges and will find ways to get in the door of key influencers to earn their trust, respect, and business.
- You are results-oriented and comfortable with setting and being accountable for volume & growth goals.
- You have the creativity to envision how the College Board’s flagship programs (AP, SAT, PSAT, pre-AP, SpringBoard) can serve students and educators within the educational context of the MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa regions both currently and in the future.
- You are adept at collaborating with a team (including remotely) or flying solo as the situation demands.
- You understand the balance that the College Board needs to strike as a mission-focused organization operating within a competitive business environment to improve educational opportunities and outcomes for students.
- Maintains regular contact and positive working relationships with staff across the College Board, including International Division, College Readiness Assessments Program, AP & Instruction Program, Operations, etc.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, an advanced degree in education is preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of sales and/or education experience in the region or international education
More about you
- Fluency in Arabic is a must have
- Ability to think creatively about fresh approaches to challenges
- Excellent analytic and quantitative skills, including ability to identify and obtain needed data to confirm/backup hypotheses
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong ability to create and deliver effective presentations to external constituents
- Problem solving and negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) strategy
- Ability to effectively handle multiple situations simultaneously
- Deep experience in education in the MENA region preferred
- Capacity to manage other regions, as assigned (prior experience working outside MENA and Sub-Sahara Africa regions not required)
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively (up to 40%)
We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes up to four weeks of paid time off each year, comprehensive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development and training, and more.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.