Director/Senior Director, K-12 - Western Region
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director/Senior Director, K-12 who will be a key member of the Western Regional State and District Partnerships team. This position is based in our Los Angeles, CA office.
About your role
The Senior Director is responsible for independently leading major initiatives that support College Board partnerships in states and/or districts to drive college and career readiness for all students and that have broad impact across the region consistent with goals of the SDP unit. The Senior Director develops deep and meaningful relationships with members of the K12 community, state departments of education and, when called upon, the governmental and legislative community aligned to state strategic goals in order to deliver opportunities to all students. The Senior Director supports Regional Leadership in developing strategies and budgets aligned to goals and priorities. The Senior Director utilizes a consultative sales approach and data from a variety of sources to accomplish the work. The Senior Director may manage staff, provide coaching, and/or assist in training staff in the region.
What you'll do
- Overall management of state work including building and maintaining strong relationships with the CSSO and key state agency staff. Create and deliver key reports and presentations to all levels of state agency staff independently or collaboratively with Governmental Relations staff for state boards and/or legislatures.
- Develop and execute a Unified State Strategy in consultation with Regional Vice President (RVP) and K12 Executive/Senior Director (Chief).
- Proactively identify key influencers in assigned state and districts. Incorporate strategies to build and maintain relationships with influencers in state strategy plan.
- Apply understanding of the full K12 education landscape in the state to influence strategy plans and execution.
- Manage implementation of state contracts and service/support models, when applicable.
- Overall management of district relationships with an emphasis on Top 250 and Strategic School Districts in the United States.
- Independently develop account strategy and manage overall service model in assigned districts.
- Utilize consultative sales process in account management and advise other K12 staff as assigned or requested.
- Independently plan and conduct in-depth, comprehensive and /or customized workshops and professional development programs for various constituents including: administrators, counselors, teachers, students/parents and community members.
- Independently manage all aspects of contracting process and implementation of contracted services/programs.
- Lead or manage divisional or regional projects assigned by SVP, RVP, or K12 Executive Director.
- Lead or manage activities related to membership and governance including Regional Councils and Regional Forums as assigned by RVP, K12 Executive Director, or ROD.
- Assist RVP and K12 Executive Director with developing and executing targeted strategies to meet program/revenue/service goals.
- Drive, support, and develop relationships with key K-12 state and regional membership organizations, community-based organizations, and professional associations.
- May manage K12 team members.
- May support K12 Executive Director with training of regional staff
- Coach and support K-12 staff in the delivery and development of professional development workshops or presentations
- Assist Regional Leadership team with strategic budget decisions based on organizational goals and priorities.
Data and Reports
- Utilize SF (CRM) for account management and to monitor progress of direct reports toward individual goals.
- Utilize SF (CRM) to manage state/district account plans and ensure opportunities/tasks are managed appropriately.
- Utilize various College Board data sources to access, compile and analyze data to support work with states and districts, and to identify the best appropriate data sources to use in different situations
- Independently conduct standard and complex data analysis at state, district, and/or school levels and make recommendations based on findings to inform state strategies and district decisions.
Internal Contacts: Maintains contact with staff within the region and department in order to collaborate to produce work, delegate work assignments, and to ensure that performance is meeting set goal. Establish relationships with program staff as appropriate to complete assigned tasks.
External Contacts: Establishes and maintains deep relationships with leadership and key decision-makers in assigned accounts; relevant organizations and/or associations; and Regional Governance members.
Who you are
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least eight years of directly-related, progressively responsible work experience in a managerial or professional position in education or a related field.
- Direct experience in assessment, curriculum, or student achievement initiatives is highly desirable.
- Project management and/or supervisory experience is preferred.
More about you
- Willingness & ability to travel extensively
- Possess a passion for education and a deep commitment to the College Board’s mission of promoting educational equity, access, and excellence for students of all backgrounds.
- Superior problem solving and negotiation skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple situations simultaneously
- Ability to identify and meet the needs of states and districts
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with senior level administrators
- Strong analytical and data analysis skills
- Experience using customer relationship management (CRM) and consultative sales tools.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, including oral presentation/public speaking skills
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to view or current opportunities at https://www.collegeboard.org/about/careers/job-listings.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted. This position will be subject to a background check.
The College Board is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity and its programs, services and employment policies are guided by that principle.