Executive Director, Mathematics, Assessment Design and Development
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Executive Director, Mathematics, Assessment Design and Development for our Assessment Design and Development.This position can be based out of Iowa City, IA, New York, NY, Chicago, IL.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.This position is based in our New York office.
The Executive Director, Mathematics, in Assessment Design and Development is an expert in mathematics and large-scale assessment, providing vision and direction to a team of assessment specialists to manage the development of mathematics test materials for a variety of College Board programs, including such high-stakes assessments as the SAT. This position provides content leadership across the SAT Suite (SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 8/9) as well as for ACCUPLACER, managing test development and program support activities associated with these assessments, including instructional support, standard-settings, and alignment reports and serves as the primary contact for College Board program leads, external vendors, and program users, including high-profile state clients.
This position will need to maximize the effective contribution of Assessment Design and Development to the organization, integrating critical information from such diverse sources as external clients and stakeholders, College Board research, financial metrics, and College Board program directors to effectively meet organizational needs and priorities. The position will be responsible for ensuring the adherence to industry-standard best practices in item and test form development and maintain formal item and test development guideline documents, including written documentation of test development processes and principles. The position will also provide assessment expertise to all parts of the organization and to external customers, integrating knowledge of curriculum, test development, accessibility, and psychometrics. The position will manage, train, and mentor senior mathematics content leads and keep current in developments in the content area and in the fields of assessment and curriculum. This position will work to ensure appropriate resource allocation needed to effectively plan and manage all production work and program support responsibilities.
What you’ll do
- Manage a team of test development, content, and curriculum experts with specialization in mathematics
- Manage the item and test development process documentation for all steps required in the item and test development of College Board assessments
- Demonstrate leadership and innovation in item and test development processes in accordance with organizational priorities
- Work as part of the Assessment Design and Development leadership team contributing to the effective management and vision of the department
- Work with College Board research staff and program leads to develop staffing allocations and budget estimates for new projects
- Manage and direct the development of new and/or existing assessments and supporting products, including the formulation of test specifications, generation of items, the design and execution of pretesting plans, the assembly of final forms, and the evaluation of statistical results
- Serve as the primary contact for College Board state customers; manage alignment and standard-setting activities in support of College Board programs
- Serve as the primary contact with vendors under contract to produce items, test forms, and support materials related to mathematics content
- Oversee the recruitment and training of external content and fairness reviewers; build and maintain positive and productive relationships with the pool of external reviewers
- Serve as primary contact for all internal and external expertise in test development related to mathematics assessment. Give presentations at College Board forums and at professional association conferences on College Board products and services. Represent the organization on panels and committees external to the organization with respect to the content area.
Work closely with K-12 and Higher Education divisions to provide expertise regarding products and services related to test development. Maintain contact with senior and associate content specialists in order to delegate work assignments, collaborate to produce work, and ensure that performance is meeting set goals. Work closely with other Assessment Design and Development staff on assessment design and development and on other projects such as the design, execution, and reporting.
Maintain regular contact with educational and test development experts in order to ensure that test content and structure complies with most recent theories and research. Maintain membership in appropriate professional organizations. Attend and make presentations at regional and national professional meetings. Work closely with the content-specific test development committees for specified academic areas.
- Advanced graduate degree in area related to measurement, assessment, or content area relevant to assessment design and test development is required
- Prior management experience leading a team of test developers is required
- Must have a minimum of seven to ten years of experience in K-12 or K-16 test development with a nationally recognized testing organization, state or local testing program, or other organization involved in test development
- In-depth exposure to state and national curriculum standards and accessibility needs is required
- Experience with developing high-stakes assessments used for state and/or federal accountability preferred
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Knowledge of pedagogical trends and effects on test development
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor staff
- Ability to work within and across diverse groups of staff members with varying skills and backgrounds
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including oral presentation/public speaking skills
- Excellent organizational, time, and task management skills
- Working knowledge of psychometrics
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications, especially PowerPoint
- Available to travel nationally
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.