Senior Development DBA
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Database Administrator for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The primary responsibilities for this position is to design, document, implement, and maintain the database architecture in support of the application development and QA processes. This person is ultimately responsible for the database design and data flow of the project as well as ensuring compliance to data standards. This position is responsible for performing assigned tasks in the areas of database modeling and technical design, database builds, stored procedures development, performance monitoring, data life-cycle management, and database performance tuning. The position will provide operational support for development, test and production environments. Overall the person in this position is expected to demonstrate proficiency in database design, troubleshooting, leadership, and customer service.
What you’ll do
- As a Development DBA, contribute to the development of technical design decisions involving the database
- Support the migration of complex Oracle 11 DBs to AWS RDS (Postgres/Aurora/dynamodb)
- Design, develop, and maintain relational and NoSQL data models
- Read data models, create and implement database scripts for physical implementation, build deploy DB scripts in development, QA, staging, and production environments
- Work collaboratively with Application Architects, Project Managers, and Business Owners to develop the database model and design following Agile/Scrum methodology
- Contributes to system development and deployment activities to ensure that database systems management concerns are addressed
- Adheres to departmental and organizational standards and processes
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date knowledge of requirements for maximizing database potential (performance)
- Work independently and proactively in a rapidly changing team environment
- Evaluates and solicits feedback on processes and procedures to identify potential areas for improvement
- Coordinates activities with supervisor and other DBA’s
- Assist the Architects and Project Managers in the full life software development life cycle
- Takes ownership of assigned responsibilities and follows through to effective solution
- Work closely with the Infrastructure, Operations, and SW Engineering staffs as needed to help troubleshoot and maintain production databases and to resolve production outages
- Perform on-site/on-call support during times of peak activity
- Communicate complex technical information in a timely, concise and coherent manner
- Maintain an in depth understanding of industry trends and evolving technology
- 7 years of experience in the analysis, design, and development of relational databases
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent preferred
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux Operating System is required
- knowledge of SVN/Git Version control, JIRA, and Agile is desired
- Professional training and/or certification using Oracle tools and technologies desired
- Familiarity with AWS RDS desired
- Experience with LDAP (Oracle OID/OVD, OpenLdap) highly valuable
More about you
- 7+ years of experience in the design and development of Oracle databases
- 2+ years of experience in the design and development of Postgres databases
- Experience in logical database modeling and physical database design
- Proficiency with SQL and database procedural languages
- Knowledge of distributed databases and partitioning
- Knowledge of scalable data architectures
- Java programming experience
- Scripting language experience (sh, bash, python, Perl, etc)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong problem solving and analytic skills
- Ability to support multiple concurrent projects
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.