Senior Software Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Software Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Senior Software Engineer will be involved in designing, implementing and maintaining solutions within Amazon Web Services. This individual will possess experience with a range of cloud technologies, working with software development teams and a keen desire to work collaboratively to ensure team success.
The candidate will report to the Senior Director and work within an agile application team that develops and maintains highly visible and critical applications. The candidate will have responsibility to design, implement, unit test, document and maintain complex technical software solutions in support of the application development and QA processes. Additionally, you will be expected to ensure communications and relationships with customers and cross-team members are professional and meet expectations.
What you’ll do
- Works with agile teams to refine requirements and to identify areas for enhancement..
- Works with other team members to develop a complete and integrated solution; and to deliver quality software and required documentation on time.
- Develops full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality.
- Writes well designed, testable, efficient code.
- Ensures that completed code provide all functionality described by application experts to ensure that acceptance criteria are met.
- Provides story point estimates for enhancements and new features.
- Develops and executes Test Driven Development tests, integration tests, unit tests, and automated test.
- Works within a given time frame to complete coding.
- Monitors and maintains production systems.
- Actively participate in code, test, and documentation peer reviews.
- Provide guidance on full life cycle of cloud-based solutions including tools, technologies, and best practices for development, deployment and maintenance of cloud hosted services.
- Evaluate and understand emerging technologies and trends for DevOps and Continuous Delivery automation within cloud infrastructures.
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments.
- Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science, systems engineering or comparable practical experience.
- 4-5 years of experience in software systems, programming
- Minimum 4 years demonstrated experience with full stack development.
More about you
- 4+ years demonstrated experience with AWS cloud supported programming languages like C#, Java, Node JS, or Python development..
- 2+ years hands-on with AWS Lambda, SNS/SQS, S3, IAM, Cloud Watch, EC2, RDS and DynamoDB, AWS CLI.
- Ability to use or learn: KMS, ALB/ELB, Route 53, VPC.
- Fluency with CI/CD toolsets such as: Jenkins, Ansible, Cloud Formation, Bitbucket.
- Working knowledge of distributed architectural design patterns.
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong problem solving and analytic skill Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- IT experience in agile Full Life Cycle development, to include: system design architecture, development, maintenance, and support.
- Database development, and infrastructure development and administration is a plus
- Experience with SOA.
- Knowledge of applicable data security principles and practices.
- Solid written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Customer satisfaction orientation.
- Willingness/ability to work off-shifts (evening, night-time, weekend).
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.