The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Data Scientist for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia or NewYork, NY office OR Denver CO
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Data Scientist will help the organization classify, predict, or enrich data, improve efficiency, and reduce risk using data science and machine learning. Primary clients will include SAT, Advanced Placement programs, Information Technology and other internal teams. The Data Scientist works directly with clients to creatively solve problems using modeling, machine learning, and statistical analysis. Projects will include creating machine learning micro-services, detecting patterns and anomalies, analysis and interpretation of data, and data visualization. The College Board Data Science team follows the Agile Scrum methodology, and is jointly based in New York City and Reston, Virginia.
What you’ll do
- Anticipate & respond to client needs. Collaborate directly with internal clients to understand issues and deliver results that address client needs in a timely manner
- Create & improve predictive models in support of College Board programs
- Use various modeling and machine learning techniques to creatively solve business problems
- Work with large educational datasets using descriptive statistics and data visualization tools.
- Create insights from existing data and drive the collection of new data through instrumentation.
- Communicate methodology and results of advanced analyses using accessible language and intuitive data visualizations
- Create reproducible, documented analyses and models that lend themselves to automation.
- Perform other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Master’s in a quantitative discipline or computer science, or a Bachelor’s and 5-7 years related experience.
- 2+ years experience programming in R and/or Python. Experience with SageMaker, TensorFlow, and Apache Spark a plus
- Strong foundation in statistical analysis and machine learning techniques
- Facility with relational, columnar, and NoSQL database systems
- Experience coping nimbly with imperfect data
- Experience with Bayesian analysis, non-parametric analysis, image recognition, deep learning, or natural language processing
- Experience with National Center for Education Statistics, Census, and/or consumer datasets is desirable
More about you
- Proven experience in developing machine learning and deep learning systems to solve real world problems
- Passionate about solving difficult problems creatively
- An excellent communicator and listener who helps others understand both problems and solutions
- Someone who knows how to tell a story with their data
- A strong team player who enjoys helping their teammates succeed
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.