Senior Strategic Financial Analyst
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Strategic Financial Analyst for our Finance & Strategy department. This position is based in our New York, NY office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Director will support the three major programs of the Enrollment unit of the College Board through financial analyses and insights. This position will report to the Senior Director of Strategic Finance. These market-leading programs help thousands of colleges recruit millions of students and deliver billions of dollars in financial aid. These programs include:
- College Board Search. Search helps millions of students receive valuable information from colleges, scholarship organizations and educational opportunity programs.
- CSS Profile™ Many colleges and universities use CSS Profile to analyze student financial need and distribute over $9 billion in need-based financial aid.
- PowerFAIDS®. Hundreds of colleges and universities use PowerFAIDS to process financial aid applications
What you'll do
- Build and improve financial models that drive decision-making and performance management
- Evaluate the program and strategic progress through business and financial analysis
- Distill complex financial analysis into clear insights
- Facilitate leadership and team discussions of financial performance and ensure program and College Board leadership have a firm understanding of strategic progress and financial performance and keen insights.
- Prepare and deliver monthly and quarterly team and executive presentations on financial performance, budget variances, trends, advisories, performance outlooks, and forecast adjustments.
- Evaluate and improve forecasting methodologies, including – where appropriate – direct ownership of forecasts for select metrics (e.g., owning the development of a program’s key volumes forecasts)
- Budgeting: Plan, envision, propose, create and manage the yearly budget for the Enrollment unit that includes projects, programs, baseline operations, revenue, expense, internal charge backs and vendors.
- Cost management, containment and reduction: Identify and manage best candidates for cost reduction. Understand, manage and optimize internal service unit charge backs including Higher Ed, Research, IT and vendors.
- Develop materials (e.g., PPT, data visualization dashboards, etc.) to present and communicate key findings
- Bachelor's degree is required
- 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience in business, management / strategy consulting, or finance is required
- Excellent quantitative and financial analysis skills including ability to envision, orchestrate and execute complex analyses (e.g. multi-variate and regression analysis)
- Ability to apply financial analysis to address questions of strategy
- Ability to break down complex problems, distinguish essential and secondary issues, and deliver creative insights.
- Strong ability to communicate complex financial analysis effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, across lines of difference
- Command of Excel (including pivot tables, and advanced functions)
- Experience with statistical tools (e.g. R, Stata, SPSS, SAS) and visualization tools (PowerPoint, Tableau, Power BI) preferred but not required
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to move deftly between big picture and details
- Comfort with concurrently managing multiple ongoing projects in different phases
- Thrives with detail and deadlines
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.