Senior Systems Analyst
College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Systems Analyst (Sr SA) in Information Technology, in our Reston, VA office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Sr SA, reviews systems requirements, performs analysis, and synthesizes the information for large-scale, complex systems’ SA formulates and defines the problem or system scope and desired outcomes based on user needs. Devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results. Analyzes and revises existing system logic difficulties and documentation as necessary.
The successful candidate will be a highly communicative team player who is willing to participate in on-call escalations to troubleshoot critical issues.
What you’ll do
- Comprehensive knowledge of their discipline and specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise
- Develops innovative solutions and encourages the application of new ideas
- Leads the planning and execution on a variety of activities
- Exercises considerable professional autonomy, provides expertise across multiple functions and is accountable for performance
- Mentors junior staff
PROBLEM SOLVING AND INNOVATION
- Integrates information from multiple sources to develop new insights into challenges
- Encourages efforts to re-engineer work processes and eliminate non-essential or redundant activities using improvement experiments; proposes and helps teams evaluate results and helps propagate changes using modern engineering design methods
- Approaches tasks systematically but is able to adjust plans to meet changing requirements from stakeholders
- Demonstrates sound technical and business judgement
- Ensures appropriate communication with partners, builds consensus around common interests, and fosters a high trust culture
- Prepares and effectively communicates complex technical information that can be understood by a wide range of technical and/or non-technical audiences
- Provides critical feedback in a constructive manner
- Represents IT / Group / Division
- Obtains and integrates perspectives from other disciplines in planning and implementing work activities
- Delegates responsibility and provides support (coaching and mentoring) for more junior teammate's work activities on a regular basis
- Persuades peers and leaders within area of responsibility; builds credibility for initiatives by presenting evidence and ensuring that individuals affected by decisions are included in the process at the outset
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SUPPORT
- Develops and implements methodology to effectively collect and incorporate customer input for products and services
- Ensures IT staff can economically support, administer and maintain engineered products and services
LEADERSHIP AND DECISION MAKING
- Plans and clearly communicates objectives and expected outcomes and assigns responsibility for specific components
- Balances near-term demands with long-term goals and vision; understands business goals and balances business goals with engineering practices
- Participates in recruiting and interviewing
PROJECT OR PROCESS MANAGEMENT
- Balances multiple concurrent initiatives to achieve a high degree of quality and timeliness
- Uses metrics to establish feasibility of new initiatives and develop plans, including budget, sequencing and time frames
- Communicates clear milestones and deliverables; ensures all team members understand their contributions toward the desired outcome
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and engineering experience to plan and implement a variety of activities
- Uses knowledge of College Board products, services and audiences to identify partners to share perspectives, validates approaches and avoids redundancy
- Uses technical subject matter expertise to objectively critique solution alternatives at architectural and implementation detail levels
- Uses quality management to ensure quality levels are maintained
- Analyzes the impact of quality control and quality assurance on project performance
- Uses reviews and observations as feedback for continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related majors
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in relevant technical positions
- Queue management skills and a strong knowledge of Agile and ITIL are essential
- Direct work experience in a service level management capacity, including all aspects of SLO development and execution.
- Experience with the development of large-scale systems and a strong understanding of operations is essential.
More about you
- Amazon Web Services
- We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
- Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
- The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.