The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Research Statistician. This position is based in our Yardley, PA office.
The College Board is a not for profit organization committed to clearing a path for all students to own their future. Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in the world, the College Board connects students to college success and opportunity. Each year, the College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success — including the SAT and the Advanced Placement Program. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators and schools.
The Research Statistician II/Senior Research Statistician will have responsibility for developing SAS code to conduct a variety of statistical and psychometric analyses, with a focus on advance queries, automated report generation, and integrating it with corporate databases and enterprise SAS solutions. Additionally, the Research Statistician II/Senior Research Statistician will work closely with Psychometricians and other Research Statisticians to perform statistical summaries, design and implement QC efforts, and manipulate large data sets to support scoring and statistical analysis of College Board Assessments.
Research Statisticians will manage core statistical and quality control processes supporting the scoring of College Board assessments, test security analysis, and ad-hoc analyses to support psychometric analysis of College Board assessments.
What you’ll do
- Perform statistical analyses using both internal and external data as assigned.
- Produce tables and graphical displays of large-scale statistical results.
- Produce data aggregations (descriptive statistics, correlation coefficients, and visual display of aggregated data) for internal and external consumption.
- Write intermediate to complex queries/programs, and generate reports representing a variety of formats.
- Work with a variety of data files representing item-, student-, school-, district-, institution-, state- and national-levels.
- Work with large databases involving assessment data.
- Develop more efficient procedures in the fulfillment of these analyses that may include developing stored procedures/programs and/or database solutions.
- Design and implement QC procedures on all statistical analyses.
- Develop SAS code to support analytic work with College Board assessment databases
- Organize and re-organize data into a variety of formats to permit use in specialized statistical software used for research and psychometric work.
- Manipulate output from statistical analysis for use in research reports and other statistical analyses.
- Provide personalized data representing a variety of data sources (internal and external) to research scientists and Psychometricians. These data include item-level, item meta-data, standards, student overall test scores, school/district/institution data and related attributes.
Policies and Conventions
- Maintain a procedure for an efficient and thorough documentation of how the statistical analyses were completed and reports were generated.
- Provide research support and guidance to Psychometric colleagues.
- Produce technical reports and memorandum describing procedures, data collection, and/or research results.
- Provide consultation on new reporting efforts and/or developing/piloting new reports.
Bachelor’s degree in statistics required plus 3 to 5 years of relevant experience for Research Statistician II. Master’s degree with 6 to 7 years of relevant experience for Senior Research Statistician. Three to seven years of demonstrated proficiency with SAS is required. Candidates with a Master’s degree in educational measurement, social science, a math or statistics with equivalent work experience are preferred. Preference will be given to those candidates with experience working with large projects involving data, statistics, test security analysis and research summaries.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Extensive understanding of SAS platform capabilities and suite of products
- Minimum 2 years of experience using advanced Base SAS and SAS Macro programming and SQL writing, Enterprise Guide (EG), SAS programs statements, select queries and update.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in analytic programming, data extraction, querying databases/data warehouses, data analysis and SAS reporting.
- Business Analytics and Enterprise Guide in a Client-Server environment
- Strong background in statistics is required.
- Knowledge of psychometrics is preferred.
- Knowledge of R and/or Python preferred
- Research skills and expertise in methodology is beneficial.
- Experience with SQL is required.
- Ability to translate general requirements into specific research and analysis questions and tasks, and SAS code development for integration into SAS enterprise solutions is required.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook), with an emphasis on MS Word and Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function in a team-oriented unit.
- Ability to manage a variety of ongoing projects.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity, and its programs, services, and employment policies are guided by that principle.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.