Senior Email Copyeditor
Senior Email Copyeditor
Location: New York office
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Email Copyeditor, in our Content - Global Policy and External Relations department (GPER).
The Senior Email Copyeditor will copyedit and proofread College Board marketing emails and related Web pages using College Board style guide (and others, as applicable) to ensure overall consistency and editorial integrity under tight deadlines.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization, and powerful force in the lives of American students. To fulfill our purpose of clearing a path for students to own their future, we offer access, opportunity, and excellence to millions of students each year. Over the past five years, the College Board has been undergoing a transformation. We’ve redesigned the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and many AP courses and exams, and we’ve introduced the PSAT 10, PSAT 8/9, and Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy, all with great success.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Copyedit College Board marketing and other emails and websites addressed to a range of audiences (student/parent, teachers, counselors, administrators, higher education professionals, etc.), aligning with house style and checking grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, word usage, internal consistency, and trademarks and copyrights. Conduct light fact-checking. Be fully accountable for editorial quality and accuracy of all reviewed material.
- Act as expert resource on editorial matters, collaborating with director of copyediting and email producers.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to copyediting, including modifying and rewriting text and editing copy to conform to a high-level grammatical standard, including punctuation, mechanics, and style; make text conform to the style of the publication as well as to the style/content of the program and CB overall; apply familiarity of several style guides to work.
- Adhere to deadlines informed by email and website launch dates. Make judgment calls on content and style issues independently to meet deadlines
WHAT YOU’LL HAVE
- Bachelor’s degree
- Four to six years of copyediting and proofreading experience, preferably with some experience working with online material
- Proven proofreading and editing ability with understanding of best practices for email and online content
- Thorough knowledge of track changes and comments functions in Microsoft Word
- Comfortable with Chicago Manual of Style
- Able to clearly and diplomatically communicate editorial suggestions and negotiate conflicts
- Able to distinguish between mandatory editorial changes and editorial suggestions
- Able to set priorities and attain goals
- Able to solve problems and make decisions quickly and effectively
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.