The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Scrum Master for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Scrum Master is an enthusiastic problem solver with excellent interpersonal skills who thrives on being engaged at all levels of development process as facilitator and impediment remover for their team(s). The ideal candidate is an empathetic listener and creative thinker who is passionate about Agile principles and continuous improvement. The Senior Scrum Master works with ease among team members from various disciplines.
The Scrum Master utilizes the College Board’s Scrum framework and facilitates all Agile Scrum ceremonies, applying College Board’s Agile best practices focused on the delivery of solutions that provide business value for the College Board. This position actively participates in the College Board’s Agile Center of Excellence through the Scrum Master Guild and has a positive influence on the College Board’s Agile best practices and adoption across the organization.
What you’ll do
- The Scrum Master will work with Agile teams often comprised of a mix of College Board employees, outsourced consultant teams and contractors to successfully deliver features and continue to improve on the existing processes and culture of the organization. They will remove obstacles to the team’s process and facilitate Agile ceremonies.
- Support the Product Owner through applying effective techniques for managing their product backlog, maintaining focus on delivering features while maintaining high quality.
- Collaborate with the Product Owner and team members to develop user stories and maintain a healthy product backlog.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of Agile practices.
- Demonstrated expertise working with various Agile approaches (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Able to coach & train other Scrum Masters, able to act as a coach to leadership of their Scrum teams.
- Scrum Master for multiple teams (generally 2-3).
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills; must be able to develop and maintain productive working relationships with a wide variety of teams and leaders.
- Applied knowledge of scaling Agile frameworks (e.g., Scrum of Scrums, SaFE, LeSS, and DaD) (higher levels).
- Able to coach and train other Scrum Masters, able to act as a coach to leadership of their Scrum teams.
- Proven experience managing and executing organizational change (higher levels).
- Evolves behaviors and practices in alignment with the College Board’s Agile Center of Excellence.
- Outstanding verbal, presentation, facilitation, and written communication skills.
- Teach the team to create clear and concise backlog items.
- Encourage the team to raise impediments, proactively seek out, and drive bringing resolution to those impediments.
- Follow College Board’s Agile best practices and recommend improvements to enhance effectiveness.
- Practice servant leadership supporting the needs of the team.
- Create and keep team information radiators updated and visible.
- Monitor relevant team metrics and continually analyze for continuous improvement recommendations.
- Foster open communication between team members, Product Owner, and other stakeholders.
- A Bachelor’s degree/equivalent is required.
- Minimum of seven to ten years of progressively responsible work experience.
More about you
- Deep knowledge & experience of Agile and Scrum.
- Multiple work experiences demonstrating expertise working with various Agile approaches (e.g.: Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Lead/train teams to be self-organizing.
- Demonstrates proficiency with competencies and skills related to servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Preferred, but not required.
- Jira project and portfolio expertise.
- Certified Scrum Master, Certified Scrum Product Owner, and/or Certified Scrum Professional.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.