Customer Care Specialist
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Customer Care Specialist. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Customer Care Specialist is the individual in the College Board customer service department primarily accountable for serving as point of contact on all SAT, PSAT, AP and CLEP escalated customer service matters. Additionally, this individual is responsible for ensuring that all new SAT, PSAT, AP and CLEP Operations process exceptions are identified and resolved. The Customer Care Specialist reports directly to the Associate Director, Customer Care Services.
The Specialist will work closely with key partners within the customer service vendor sites to ensure compliance to established College Board Program(s) policies and business procedures. The Specialist will also work closely with members of the College Board Program groups and other Operational business partners to ensure that all customer service cases/matters are properly processed, handled, and resolved within a timely manner. This includes both the execution and communication of known alternate flows and exceptions resolutions.
Specifically, escalated cases or procedural exceptions may occur between or within any of the external vendors or internal College Board departments. The Specialist will be responsible for ensuring these cases and exceptions are resolved in a timely manner and within the specified guidelines and policies of various internal departments such as, but not limited to, the SAT, PSAT, AP and/or CLEP Programs, Customer Service, Finance, CB.com, Operations and IT.
What you’ll do
- Serve as business contact between the customer service operations group and all of the internal departments and external vendors to address and resolve processing exceptions and/or escalated customer service cases. Establish a strong relationship with each of the College Board departments listed above and external vendors, specifically the various customer service outsourced partners.
- Must fully understand all of the College Board Program(s) operations processes, particularly those impacting Customer Service. Must understand these operational activities from end to end to ensure all escalated cases are adequately addressed across all of the affected departments and vendors.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in written format case status, as well as complex Program policies to consumers, to include students, parents, High School Guidance Counselors and College/University Admissions Personnel.
- Ability to work within aggressive timelines and with extremely sensitive student cases.
- Ability to handle high volume case loads while ensuring that cases are researched and closed within established timelines.
- Ability to learn multiple customer service and operational system applications required to manage escalated customer service cases.
- Hands-on approach to lead resolution and root cause analysis of assigned customer service escalated cases.
- Conduct manual processes to implement exceptions workarounds.
- When necessary, provide manual support for data entry and exceptions.
- College Degree preferred
- Solid Customer Service background
- Solid progressively responsible experience in back-office operations required.
- Strong process improvement experience required.
- Experience in a high-volume consumer operation --- potentially including e-commerce, in-bound mail processing, customer inquiry / customer service processing required.
- Financial operations processing experience
More about you
- Deal with multiple competing demands with service focus
- Ability to communicate complex issues and drive to resolution
- Ability to manage high volume and sensitive customer service matters.
- Ability to manage relationships with multiple levels of management
- Highly collaborative individual with ability to influence others and build strong professional relationships
- Solid organizational, time & task management skills
- Flexibility and desire to quickly adapt to new methods, situations, and various requirements
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Strong analytical thinking and structured problem solving ability
- Excellent communication (writing, speaking, presentation)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.