Senior Vice President, Strategy and Finance
The Senior Vice President, Strategy and Finance is a critical leader at the College Board, overseeing organizational strategy, including the development of proposals aimed to advance the College Board’s mission, annual goal-setting, and strategic planning. Additionally, the SVP ensures the short- and long-term health of the College Board’s finances through leadership of the organization’s financial planning and analysis, accounting, investments and procurement functions. The SVP is responsible for developing the College Board’s $1 billion budget in pursuit of the organization’s annual and long-term mission objectives. Through these functions, in close coordination with the CEO and President, the SVP provides essential direction-setting for the organization. The SVP reports to the President of the College Board and sits on the Executive Leadership Team. The SVP oversees a division of over 60 employees.
What you will do:
The SVP allocates her/his time against a wide set of priorities that ensures clean financial operations, strategic decision making, and efficient use of resources. Working closely with a cabinet of exceptional departmental leaders, the SVP will:
- Identify and develop strategic proposals that advance the College Board’s mission and reach. Identify key opportunities, direct the development of proposals and financial impact analyses, and guide executive leadership to make decisions around adoption. Examples of past proposals include expanding fee waiver programs, assessing the changing data privacy landscape, and developing new programs like free Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy and the College Board Opportunity Scholarships.
- Oversee annual and long-term goal-setting and ensure resources are properly allocated to achieve those goals. Manage reporting and progress monitoring for annual and long-term goals. Work closely with executive leadership to ensure strategies are aligned to achieve the organization's highest priorities.
- Oversee the annual planning and budgeting processes, including decisions around prioritization of resources, headcount requests, and other key decisions about how the College Board manages its resources.
- Oversee ongoing financial analyses for programs and service units, providing guidance around the financial implications of new initiatives and reviewing cost/revenue structures in order to improve operational efficiency.
- Assess and evaluate the financial performance of the organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets, and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to guide short- and long-term organizational growth plans.
- Ensure internal accounting controls are operationally sound and that policies and procedures comply with all regulatory requirements.
- Oversee procurement function, enabling the College Board to operate effectively with vendors and maximize cost efficiency.
- Oversee management of the organization’s investments and acquisition opportunities.
In addition, the SVP will:
- Lead a large and diverse division of experienced, knowledgeable, and talented professionals. Provide overall direction and oversight of the work of the division and motivate staff to achieve at the highest level.
- Manage key relationships within the Board of Trustees and relevant governance committees, presenting on financials and key updates at quarterly board meetings.
- Respond to external inquiries (media/regulatory/etc.) regarding financial matters involving the College Board.
- As an ELT member, promote leadership’s shared mission and vision, model the College Board competencies, and maintain a strong organizational culture.
20+ years of progressively responsible experience in strategy and/or finance. Hands-on experience in business management and operations required. Track record of leading large teams towards results. Desired skills include:
- Strong track record in strategic and tactical business analysis and planning
- Strong creative problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to scope, organize, and successfully direct large projects
- Knowledge of financial planning, accounting, and/or cost management
- Knowledge of technology and extensive understanding of technology's role in financial planning and management
- Ability to work collaboratively as a business partner across all levels of an organization
- Ability to lead, motivate, and develop a talented staff
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Knowledge of College Board programs and services
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.