The Queue Manager (QM) is an enthusiastic problem solver with superior interpersonal skills who thrives on being engaged at all levels of Queue Management process as the owner of a portfolio of work. The ideal candidate is an empathetic listener and creative thinker who is passionate about technology and who can work with ease among team members from various disciplines. The QM will work as part of an elite and agile team leveraging Kanban best practices to deliver world class service for their portfolio.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the team to deliver dependable and transparent day-to-day operations:
- Support the definition of queue success criteria.
- Seek root cause of issues and communicate appropriately to internal and external customers.
- Oversee the team’s Knowledge Base and ensure top quality solutions are available.
- Manage vendor relationships in relation to daily operational needs.
- Keep confidential all applicant, client, verification and company proprietary information.
- Support team’s success by prioritizing, organizing, planning and effective communication.
- Serve as a trusted resource for information, direction and knowledge.
- Ensure proper assignment of work to drive flow as well as facilitation of resource allocation based on work load.
- Oversee queue requests for all classes of service. Manage and coordinate urgent and complicated requests. Act as escalation point for all requests and incidents.
- The QM will lead the team to deliver efficient, systematic and predictable services while ensuring transparency across the queue’s portfolio.
- Identify trends by building information radiators for team metrics:
- Establish Business Level Agreements to set expectations and measure performance.
- Drive queue retrospectives and develop strategies for improvement.
- Develop proposals to drive down consistent queue requests and improve organizational flow.
- Review survey feedback to improve services, tools and support experience.
- Exercise continuous Service improvement by maintaining and maturing the Queue Management Framework focused on flow and reducing waste ensuring free flowing escalation and information within the organization.
- The QM will measure the efficiencies of the team’s services and QE to drive down costs and ensure optimum performance against defined standards.
- Lead, inspire, manage, and mentor team members to maximize their individual potential and professional growth as well as ability to function effectively as a team.
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve the mission of the queue.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the discipline and/or service area to enable optimization, eradication and automation.
- Schedule pairing sessions.
- Facilitate workshops.
- Provide problem solving support and guidance to the Queue Engineers within the team.
- Coordinate work that crosses organizational boundaries to ensure customer satisfaction
- Manage the process for communicating outage/emergency activities to the organization.
- Support the Scrum Managers and Product Owners in the delivery of services relative to the queue.
- Advise management on situations that may require additional client support or escalation.
- Set, communicate and continually manage queue expectations with team members and other stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Embrace work culture to ensure the mission and operating principles of The College Board are consistently recognized and utilized to promote a productive and fair work environment.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES BY LEVEL:
Level 1 (entry)
- No prior Queue Management experience required
- Provide appropriate data & insights from the Queue Portfolio to the governance
Level 2 (mid)
- Mastery of Queue Management using Kanban
- Mentoring other Queue Managers
- Leverage data & insights from the Queue Portfolio to propose solutions
Level 3 (expert)
- Influencer of Queue Management using Kanban
- Advising Senior Management of industry trends and directions
- Evolving Queue Management Framework using Kanban
- Bachelor of Science degree in the field of computer science or systems engineering.
- Excellent queue management skills and a strong knowledge of Agile and ITIL are essential.
- Direct work experience in a service level management capacity, including all aspects of SLO development and execution.
- Experience - 7 years minimum across multiple disciplines (Requirements Engineering, Risk management, Technology planning, design, development, System Integration, or Quality Assurance).
- Solid working knowledge of current IT technologies including: AWS, networks, storage systems and computing platforms including WebLogic, Oracle, NetApp, Linux, Unix, Windows.
- Experience with the development of large-scale systems and a strong understanding of operations is essential.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Superior verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment; strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Effective staff management and leadership skills. Ability to deal tactfully with employees and contractors who provide a broad spectrum of services.
- Lifelong Learner - what is learned today will be obsolete tomorrow; demonstrated continuous learning.
- Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity.
- Highly self-motivated and directed; strong attention to detail and focus on task completion is critical.
- Persuasive, encouraging, motivating and diplomatic, with conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, customers, and other departments.
- Conform to shifting priorities in service level strategies, demands, and timelines through sound analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Adept at conducting research into service-related issues, best practices, models, and methodologies.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to view or current opportunities at https://www.collegeboard.org/about/careers/job-listings.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted. This position will be subject to a background check.
The College Board is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity and its programs, services and employment policies are guided by that principle.