Associate Director, Communications
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Associate Director Communications, in our Communications - Global Policy and External Relations department (GPER).
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization, and powerful force in the lives of American students. To fulfill our purpose of clearing a path for students to own their future, we offer access, opportunity, and excellence to millions of students each year. Over the past five years, the College Board has been undergoing a transformation. We’ve redesigned the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and many AP courses and exams, and we’ve introduced the PSAT 10, PSAT 8/9, and Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy, all with great success.
The Associate Director, reporting to and working closely with the Vice President of Communications, is responsible for tracking, supporting and propelling team initiatives to successful completion. The Associate Director will offer strategic support to the Vice President as pro-active problem-solver and facilitator, using solid judgment and discretion at all times. This position keeps the lines of communication open, ensuring that the VP is well informed and prepared for meetings, events, and other activities.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide executive assistance and support to the Vice President.
- Perform a variety of project management tasks that focus on tracking, and sometimes managing, key initiatives on behalf of the VP; includes establishing timelines and delegating assignments; coordinating project deliverables with other departments/divisions/consultants; and evaluating and updating project status for reporting and decision making, recommending adjustments.
- Manage budget and procurement processes for the Communications team.
- Ensure that all VP initiatives are appropriately prioritized, resourced and on-track, focusing on coordination of cross-functional work streams, data collection and maintenance, and management of preparation for key outreach and presentations.
- Work with VP to develop regular communications to keep VP direct reports’ and all communications employees informed about divisional priorities, successes, and other developments.
- Draft, proofread, and edit correspondence, emails, presentations, and technical documents for the VP for both internal and external audiences.
- Undertake the development of key presentations, the evaluation of proposals, and the preparation of background reports on key topics.
- Manage VP’s preparation for meetings and works closely with the Associate Director, Communications & Marketing, Special Projects & Initiatives as needed to prepare presentation materials and ensure timely and effective follow-up to meetings.
- Support the goals development process, tracking fiscal year goal updates, raising risks, providing context and ensuring timelines and reports are met and tracked; manage communications team goal development for the upcoming year, working close with the AD, Communications & Marketing, Special Projects & Initiatives.
- Draft and review talking points, internal and external communications, FAQs and critical communications to various audiences.
- Perform a variety of key support tasks as needed, which may include responding to requests for information, monitoring the communications team budgets, preparing team communications, researching topics and drafting summaries.
WHO YOU ARE
- Minimum of 4+ years of related work experience that requires project management skills, keen organizational skills, analytical skills and superior communications skills Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a broad set of employees in collaborative fashion
- Excellent communication skills
- Superb writing skills, including proofreading and editing abilities
- Highly credible with executive maturity
- Commitment to confidentiality and professional integrity
- Organized and experienced in leading projects forward
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent at engaging other resources when necessary and keeping key parties informed.
- Ability to learn independently
- Can quickly synthesize and analyze complex information from multiple sources
- Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent political judgment and discretion
- Superior analytical and quantitative skills
- Ability to set up analytical frameworks to evaluate options
- Ability to present information in a clear, compelling and concise way
- Skilled at prioritizing work based on analysis
- A background working in media relations or journalism is a plus
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.