Senior Software Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Software Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The candidate will interact closely with project management, business analysts, test engineers and other software engineers to shape, identify, prioritize, and realize project requirements in the delivery of business solutions.
Successful candidates will have a comprehensive knowledge of web front-end and back-end development tools, technologies, practices, and standards; proven ability to integrate large scale systems or third-party products; and a track record of delivering high-quality, web based business solutions in a timely and effective manner.
What you’ll do
- Guides, and mentor’s junior software engineers
- Incorporates Cloud technologies on new application development to include micro-services and AWS services such as lambda, S3, SQS, SNS, and DynamoDB.
- Works in DevOps agile teams primarily in AWS technology environment
- Thorough understanding of implementing accessibility and progressive enhancement presentation layer coding practices. Works with Interface Design to assure accessibility standards are met at a code level.
- Follows established coding standards and other group procedures, both individually and at a team level. Must ensure proper code reviews are held for the project and that development processes and tool utilization are followed.
- Contributes to the engineering team’s culture of high code quality. Accountable for the quality of code that is delivered to QA and production and must ensure that appropriate code reviews and unit testing are adequately performed.
- Ensures that continuous integration is performed on the application source code and constantly seeks to enhance the continuous integration methods of the development team to ensure extremely high quality of code.
- Works closely with project management and requirements analysts to thoroughly understand the system requirements and ensure they are properly implemented. Also, must seek ways to meet the underlying business requirements with low-cost, yet highly re-usable patterns and actively escalate requirements that may cause unnecessary risk or cost.
- Ensure that application code adheres to enterprise and industry standards and best practices, including performance and security standards.
- Gather feedback from design and technical staff on application development needs and patterns. Must be able to work with Enterprise Architecture group to propose and solicit approval of new architectural patterns including documentation and presentation of the architectural approach, benefits/limitations and other considerations (e.g. re-usability, security, performance, maintainability, etc.).
- Thorough understanding of implementing accessibility and progressive enhancement presentation layer coding practices.
- Responsible for support of and coordinating with other Engineers, Architects and teams including other technology teams such as a User Experience team or an infrastructure team.
- Assists Project Manager in project planning and estimating of project score items.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 5-7 years of directly-related work experience in a professional position in software development
- Expert level experience in Java, J2EE, REST, Spring, JPA/Hibernate, SQL and NoSQL databases – applied to develop web applications.
- Experience in developing test automations using API testing and/or BDD testing with REST assured, JMeter, Selenium
- Expert-level Object Oriented knowledge, with demonstrated complex implementations a must, e.g., custom API's, optimization techniques, and design patterns.
- Experience with DevOps tools and automation
- Experience working in an iterative(agile/scrum) development environment
- Experience in documenting design and architecture artifacts and presenting artifacts for architectural review
- Expertise in managing code with Bitbucket version control.
- Strong working knowledge of the UNIX/Linux operating system.
- Effective communication skills are a must along with a strong customer service orientation, and the ability to clearly discern client needs.
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple responsibilities simultaneously, with fast, flexible work style.
More about you
- Knowledge of K-12 or Higher Education related software applications is a plus
- Experience managing and deploying builds to AWS cloud environments.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Our mission is to clear a path for all students to own their future.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.