The Scrum Master is an enthusiastic problem solver with excellent interpersonal skills who thrives on being engaged at all levels of development process as facilitator and impediment remover for their team(s). The ideal candidate is an empathetic listener and creative thinker who is passionate about Agile principles and continuous improvement. The Scrum Master works with ease among team members from various disciplines.
The Scrum Master utilizes the College Board’s Scrum framework and facilitates all Agile Scrum ceremonies, applying College Board’s Agile best practices focused on the delivery of solutions that provide business value for the College Board. This position actively participates in the College Board’s Agile Center of Excellence through the Scrum Master Guild and has a positive influence on the College Board’s Agile best practices and adoption across the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Scrum Master will work with Agile teams often comprised of a mix of College Board employees, outsourced consultant teams and contractors to successfully deliver features and continue to improve on the existing processes and culture of the organization. They will remove obstacles to the team’s process and facilitate Agile ceremonies.
- Support the Product Owner through applying effective techniques for managing their product backlog, maintaining focus on delivering features while maintaining high quality.
- Collaborate with the Product Owner and team members to develop user stories and maintain a healthy product backlog.
- Able to coach and mentor other Scrum Masters
- Scrum Master for multiple teams (generally 2-3)
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills
- Knowledge of scaling Agile frameworks (e.g., Scrum of Scrums, SaFE, LeSS, and DaD)
- Lead teams to be self-organizing
- Contributes to the College Board’s Agile Center of Excellence through the Scrum Master Guild
- Teach the team to create clear and concise backlog items.
- Encourage the team to raise impediments, proactively seek out, and drive bringing resolution to those impediments
- Follow College Board’s Agile best practices and recommend improvements to enhance effectiveness.
- Practice servant leadership supporting the needs of the team.
- Create and keep team information radiators updated and visible.
- Monitor relevant team metrics and continually analyze for continuous improvement recommendations.
- Foster open communication between team members, Product Owner, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrate full knowledge of Agile practices
- Demonstrates expertise working with various Agile approaches (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- A Bachelor’s degree/equivalent is required
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible work experience
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Hands on experience with Agile (e.g.: Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrates competencies and skills related to servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Advanced verbal, presentation, facilitation, and written communication skills
- Demonstrates high level of analytical and problem-solving skills
- Preferred, but not required
- Jira project and portfolio expertise
- Certified Scrum Master, Certified Scrum Product Owner, and/or Certified Scrum Professional