STEM Assessment Manager
College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a STEM Assessment Manager This position can be based out of Reston, VA.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The STEM assessment manager will partner with STEM content leaders across the College Board to create, drive and deliver production of STEM assessment items using new and innovative methods. This individual will work on a small team solving high-priority challenges related to educational content development, and be responsible for the quality and results of work spanning College Board assessment programs. The ideal candidate is experienced with writing and reviewing assessment items and designing assessment plans and content specifications.
What you’ll do
- Actively support all phases of the assessment development process, including the development of test and content specifications, item writing, item reviews, and item alignments (to standards and content frameworks) for Math and Science assessments
- Advise product team on item specifications and design plans for item development products, their core features, and their related enhancements
- Train item writers to find high quality STEM reading passages and write high-quality STEM items for various assessment programs.
- Study STEM assessment specifications for programs across the College Board assessment portfolio, and provide content expertise at STEM content and data review meetings
- Liaise with STEM colleagues across CB assessment teams (AP, SAT Suite, etc.) to understand content development needs, advise on content review process, and advocate for the use of innovative methods
- Take part in or provide leadership for meetings and other activities in which test passages, test items, and incorporate feedback strategically into the selection and revision of test materials
- Provide expertise in standards, instruction, curriculum, and assessment to internal and external clients
- Keep up-to-date on trends and developments in STEM standards, instruction, curriculum, and assessment
- Troubleshoot, problem solve, and work alongside the rest of the team to get the job done well.
- B.A. or B.S. in mathematics, mathematical education, science, science education, or closely related field
- 3-5+ years of hands on experience in item and task writing and reviewing for educational assessments, with an ideal focus on grades 6-12; experience with SAT or Advanced Placement item writing a plus.
- 3-5+ years of successful classroom teaching experience in grades 6-12 Science or Mathematics.
- Experience with crafting items based on standards (such as Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards) and aligning standards to curriculum and assessment content.
- Experience with passage/stimulus selection and creation to craft context-based or stimulus-based item sets.
- Experience with item performance data and adjusting item or specifications development based on your review of this data.
More about you
- Strong analytical thinking and structured problem-solving ability
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Ethos of continuous improvement and interest in learning new things
- Strong ability to understand and internalize the big-picture and broader implications
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skill with the ability to work with a diverse set of colleagues, across functions, from different organizations, disciplines, etc.
- Self-starter, ability to set priorities, work independently and attain goals
- Must be comfortable with and interested in learning new technologies
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training. Mission
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.