Senior Software DevOps Engineer
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Software DevOps Engineer for our IT department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Senior Software Engineer/ DevOps with an interest and background in DevOps. This person will help build software products and data pipelines, using an array of diverse technologies such as Node.js, frontend JS frameworks, and AWS, and stand-up an automated continuous integration and delivery pipeline to enable our team to efficiently deploy into production. This position will work on a small team solving high-priority challenges relating to educational content development.
What you’ll do
- Help build database-driven web apps from scratch to deployment
- Develop, manage, and monitor applications within AWS cloud
- Design and manage a CI/CD pipeline
- Manage development and production environments within AWS cloud
- Develop a suite of automated tests for applications and infrastructure
- Promote DevOps and AWS best practices within the team to improve quality, reduce risk, increase security, promote efficiency and reuse, and minimize costs
- Play supporting role in understanding business needs in context, from user perspective
- Support user-driven design of data models, APIs and interfaces
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 3-5 years of experience in software systems, programming, and infrastructure development and administration
More about you
- Experience as a DevOps engineer in a scalable production environment
- Strong and evolving competence in several programming languages and technologies, working knowledge of multiple tools sets, technologies and implementation environments
- Strong practical Linux-based systems administration skills and scripting experience in a Cloud-based environment
- Expertise with Git, including branching workflows
- Experience with PostgreSQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Distributed Service Standards (REST, SOA, microservices)
- Familiarity with monitoring tool suites (e.g. DataDog, SumoLogic, NewRelic, and Nagios)
- Experience with automated testing tools (e.g. Cypress, Mocha/Chai)
- Working knowledge of IP networking, VPCs, DNS, load balancing and firewalling
- Experience building infrastructure as code using AWS CloudFormation or similar scripting techniques
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible in production environments
- Experience with AWS CodePipeline management of continuous integration servers like Jenkins and Bamboo
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills with the ability to work with a diverse set of colleagues
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving skills, critical thinking and testing skills
- Self-starter with the ability to set priorities, work independently, and attain goals
- Ethos of continuous improvement and interest in learning new things
- Strong ability to understand and internalize the big picture and broader implications
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.