The College Board, the leading national educational organization known for the SAT® and the Advanced Placement Program®, seeks a Director of Strategy who will work urgently and entrepreneurially to solve the most difficult and interesting problems at the organization. The position is resident in New York City and reports to the Executive Director of Strategy.
About the College Board
We are a mission focused organization that believes that investing in education, is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just few. Our work falls broadly into four categories: College Readiness, College Connection & Success, Student Opportunities and Advocacy.
We seek an individual who can lead strategy projects from concept to implementation handoff, combines strong analytical skills with effective storytelling and consensus building, and has expertise in secondary or post-secondary education. This position offers a rigorous development experience while tackling difficult questions for senior management, often the CEO and/or COO. The role requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
Our team created the College Board Opportunity Scholarships Program and you’ll be charged with developing similar breakthrough programs and initiatives to advance opportunity for students.
About the role
You’ll drive 2-4 projects/initiatives at one time. In this role you will:
- Define ambiguous problems and formulate hypotheses.
- Evaluate quantitative and qualitative information to test product hypotheses. For example:
- Analyze millions of records of student data to explore and visualize trends and patterns by demographics or over time
- Conduct interviews and focus groups with students, counselors, or other educators.
- Synthesize information or data to understand the competitive landscape for new products
- Work with experts within the organization, such as researchers, data scientists, policy analysts or UX researchers to build an evidence base to support or refute hypotheses
- Manage external consultants on discrete project workstreams
- Develop product and/or initiative prototypes
- Present clear and compelling findings to senior management and work across the College Board to build consensus around our conclusions.
- Collaborate with team members across the organization to implement recommendations.
Examples of questions our team has tackled in the past include:
- How can we use financial aid as a motivator towards academic achievement and an engine of mobility? What is the College Board’s role in making that reality possible?
- How should the College Board streamline its supports for low-income students across our many products and services?
- How can the College Board make it much easier for students from low-income backgrounds to apply for and use fee waivers for College Board products, and for college applications?
You are inspired by the opportunity to work on intellectually engaging problems whose answers have the potential to impact the lives of millions of students. You have:
- 5-10 years of experience in management consulting, strategy, and/or policy analysis.
- An outstanding record of academic and professional achievement and leadership
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills, including ability to analyze large datasets (proficiency in R, Stata, SQL, and/or Tableau strongly preferred)
- Strong ability to communicate complex ideas simply, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, across lines of difference
- Expertise in secondary or postsecondary education
- A strong commitment to expanding educational opportunity
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.