Director, Content Strategy
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director, Content Strategy. This position is based in our New York Office.
The College Board is a not for profit organization committed to clearing a path for all students to own their future. Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in the world, the College Board connects students to college success and opportunity. Each year, the College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success — including the SAT and the Advanced Placement Program. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators and schools.
The Director, Content Strategy will work closely with content strategists, book editors, project managers, production designers, copy editors, and third-party vendors to develop, execute, and maintain engaging content that is accurate and consistent in presentation and optimally stored within its content management system. This person will help our team refine its XML strategy to ensure that content shared across titles is managed and edited centrally and goes to press error-free.
What you’ll do
- On new titles, conducts upfront content analyses to develop strategic plans for converting legacy content to XML and enable its reuse.
- On titles already converted to XML liaises with content strategists on the team to refine and optimize the strategy to allow for complex reuse scenarios.
- Liaises with SAT program partners to help determine XML strategy that is localized for their titles and understand how it fits into an org-wide XML strategy that we will roll out to other programs in 2019 and beyond.
- Gets up to speed quickly on the XML strategy currently in place as well as its role in our organization-wide approach to modeling content and helps shape this vision going forward.
- Works with third-party vendor to optimize our CMS and make sure workflows account for the tasks of several contributing disciplines (lead editors, internal reviewers, copyeditors, designers, etc.).
- Attends daily Agile scrum meetings to serve as content lead, provide needed content model and CMS enhancements to support ongoing work, and coordinate editorial workflow and task completion.
- Creates CMS user-training documentation and oversees the training of internal resources working within the CMS.
- A Bachelor's degree preferred in Marketing, Communications, English, Journalism, Business, Library Sciences, Human Factors, Marketing, Instructional Design, or related field preferred.
- Seven to ten years of experience in creating and managing evolving marketing and/or educational content for diverse audiences within a digital content management system.
- Proven expertise in XML publishing is required.
- Experience in XDOCS, Oxygen, or comparable component content management systems required.
- Ability to accurately gauge project duration, manage expectations, deliver on deadlines, and handle conflicting priorities.
- Proven experience in digital content management systems, including experience, understanding of, and comfort with, the technical and workflow issues surrounding large-scale digital content projects.
- Demonstrated expertise in customizing a generic content/data model to meet the needs of a unique business, audience, and model.
- Experience in education-related industries strongly preferred.
More about you
- Expertise in designing content models and content management systems for educational content.
- Familiarity with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and how to implement their best practices and standards.
- In-depth understanding of content management strategies, methods, tools and protocols: workflow analysis, role/access definitions, content analysis, information architecture and taxonomy definition.
- Excellent communication skills for technical and non-technical personnel.
- Be able to translate business needs into a holistic set of content requirements and specifications.
- Be able to communicate across different internal organizations, customers, vendors and multiple level of leaderships
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Experience in process improvements, automation, workflow and search and retrieval technologies.
- Ability to define deliverables and provide frequent updates, resulting in high quality work product.
- Skilled in taking complex ideas and creating templates and other documentation to clearly communicate ideas and gain support.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.