Associate Director, Content Strategist
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Associate Director, Content Strategist. This position is based in our New York City office.
The College Board is a not for profit organization committed to clearing a path for all students to own their future. Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in the world, the College Board connects students to college success and opportunity. Each year, the College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success — including the SAT and the Advanced Placement Program. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators and schools.
The content strategist is responsible for ensuring that content is engaging, user-centered, on brand, and is easy to maintain and govern over time. The content strategist contributes to the development of websites and other content products, working closely with multidisciplinary teams to conceptualize, develop, and maintain content. The content strategist brings a keen awareness of the frequent need to reuse content across channels and strategizes and develops content accordingly. Responsibilities span the lifecycle of campaigns from inception through launch and include collaborating with project sponsors and others to define content requirements, conduct content audits, create and synthesize content, edit, and enter content, as needed.
What you’ll do
- Works closely with project sponsors to understand business needs and user needs to ensure that all content meets these requirements.
- Crafts content through the synthesis of a variety of written sources and other inputs, and writes original content and microcopy, as needed.
- Conducts content audits and contributes to the creation of content models and content usage rules that enable us to maintain consistent brand standards.
- Collaborates with experience designers and IT to determine, define, and document content types and elements that support publishing to web.
- Identifies opportunities where CMS enhancements can increase efficiency and effectiveness in content development and maintenance workflows and document those requirements for IT.
- Contributes to the creation of project plans, information architectures, and project artifacts in anticipation of content needs.
- Contributes to and maintains editorial calendars and curated content schedules.
- Contributes to the creation of taxonomies and metadata.
- Copyediting, proofreading, and content entry, as needed.
More of what you’ll do
Collaborates closely with content strategists, UX designers and information architects, project managers,
product managers, and IT developers as well as service- and business-unit partners within the College
Board, including legal, communications, and individual programs.
- Bachelor's degree
- Five to seven years of experience in creating and managing content for diverse audiences within a digital content management system
- A deep understanding of how copy and interaction design support each other
- Experience in Web content management systems, especially Drupal, including experience, understanding of, and comfort with the technical and workflow issues surrounding large-scale digital content projects
- Uncanny ability to identify content gaps in a user flow
- Experience synthesizing content created in a variety of formats.
- Demonstrated project management and time management skills, including ability to accurately gauge project duration, manage expectations, deliver on deadlines, and handle conflicting priorities.
- Knowledge of how metadata impacts website content and SEO
More about you
- Experience in education-related industries strongly preferred.
- Able to use empathy, reason, and data to inform content choices.
- A champion for writing that supports both the content and the user.
- Calm and graceful under pressure, with flexibility and adaptability to rapidly changing environment, who admits mistakes quickly openly.
- Demonstrated ability to apply editorial skills as part of a team in a structured editorial process
- Experience working in agile product development environment
- Familiarity with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and how to implement their best practices and standards
- Extreme attention to detail
- Exceptional written communication skills
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity, and its programs, services, and employment policies are guided by that principle.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.