Director, Content Strategy
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director, Content Strategy. This position is based in our Reston Virginia office.
The College Board is a not for profit organization committed to clearing a path for all students to own their future. Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in the world, the College Board connects students to college success and opportunity. Each year, the College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success — including the SAT and the Advanced Placement Program. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators and schools.
The Director, Content Strategy is responsible for creating user-centered, clear, and accurate digital content that meets high quality standards, and furthers College Board's mission. Reporting to the Senior Director, Content Strategy, the Director, Content Strategy will be dedicated to our Enrollment program. This team member will work with UX designers, internal stakeholders, IT developers, and an external agency to redesign our PowerFAIDS digital product. PowerFAIDS is a rich financial aid tool used by financial aid offices across the country. As such, this position proven experience in the field of financial aid, finance, banking, or a related field. Additionally, the successful candidate will have advanced knowledge in the field of digital content strategy with proven expertise in complex interactive tools and the ability to produce excellent copy. The Director, Content Strategy is part of the College Board’s Content group, a team that believes digital experiences should be barrier free and inclusive, usable, useful, clear, credible, supportive, and galvanizing. Based in Reston, Virginia, this role will be part of a co-located team. As such, there will be regular travel required to our New York City office. For candidates outside of the Reston area, a relocation package may be available.
What you’ll do
- Uses expertise in content strategy and UI copywriting to help financial aid professionals, complete tasks easily and quickly.
- Partners with UX designers, product owners, IT developers, and external agency partners on the PowerFAIDS redesign project.
- Must be a highly collaborative and diplomatic player who can carve out space for their own voice on a team of strategic thinkers.
- Must have a strong perspective on the relationship between content strategy and UX design.
- Knows when to be flexible and when to be assertive.
- Works closely with project sponsors, including executive leadership, to understand their needs and the needs of their users.
- Leads on content strategy briefs, content audits, and copy decks and contributes to wireframes, technical requirements, and related artifacts, driving toward solutions that best serve the user and the content.
- Manages and executes all phases of content development.
- Will be first chair for any other content work Communications is asked to take on to support the Enrollment program.
More of what you’ll do
- Represents and applies the content team’s approach to CMS design, content modeling, and structured content (in Drupal 8).
- Takes responsibility for consistent voice and messaging on all assigned projects.
- Delivers or manages the delivery of voice and tone guidelines as well as project briefs, audits, and other discovery documents that inform content development.
- Oversees the iterative copy development process through all stages, with a focus on ensuring productive, respectful dialogue as copy is reviewed and revised.
- Bachelor's degree preferred in Marketing, Communications, English, Journalism, Business, Library Sciences, Human Factors, Marketing, Instructional Design, or related field preferred.
- Five to seven years of experience creating and managing evolving educational content for diverse audiences.
- Experience developing UI copy in collaboration with UX designers, IT developers, and product owners for educational and/or financial content.
- Ability to accurately gauge project duration, manage expectations, deliver on deadlines, and handle conflicting priorities.
- Proven experience understanding of, and comfort with, the technical and workflow issues surrounding large-scale digital content projects.
- Experience in financial aid, finance, banking, or a related field is required.
More about you
- Learn fast and be comfortable analyzing and writing about complex financial topics.
- Passionate about accuracy and precision.
- Proven ability to come up with simple solutions to complex problems.
- Familiarity with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and how to implement their best practices and standards.
- Excellent communication skills for technical and non-technical personnel across the organization.
- Be able to translate business needs into a holistic set of content requirements and specifications.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Knowledge of publishing standards including HTML and XML.
- Ability to define deliverables and provide frequent updates, resulting in high quality work product.
- Skilled in communicating ideas clearly and persuasively.
- Experience working on an agile team preferred.
- Experience explaining and defending the strategy to cross-functional team members.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity, and its programs, services, and employment policies are guided by that principle.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.