Senior Director, Content Strategy
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Director, Content Strategy. This position is based in our New York City headquarters.
The College Board is a not for profit organization committed to clearing a path for all students to own their future. Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies in the world, the College Board connects students to college success and opportunity. Each year, the College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success — including the SAT and the Advanced Placement Program. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators and schools.
The Senior Director, Content Strategy is fully accountable for the quality of digital content on major projects and plays a pivotal role in furthering the College Board’s mission. The Senior Director, Content Strategy will manage 5-6 staff members while acting as content lead on a major web redesign project. This individual will help to shape strategy for our team and ensure that our content is user-centric, engaging, and on-brand.
To succeed in this role, the Senior Director, Content Strategy will leverage advanced knowledge in the field of digital content strategy with proven expertise in content modeling and structured content and the ability to produce excellent copy. Responsibilities include collaborating closely with a multidisciplinary team of UX designers and information architects, researchers, IT developers, project managers, and product owners to conceptualize, define, and realize the creative vision and direction of large-scale projects. This position manages the day-to-day work of 5-6 full-time content strategists, negotiating deadlines, assigning resources, and ensuring on-time delivery of effective content.
The Senior Director, Content Strategy is part of the College Board’s Content group, a team that believes digital experiences should be barrier free and inclusive, usable, useful, clear, credible, supportive, and galvanizing.
What you’ll do:
- Manages staff, makes judgement calls, and resolves escalated issues. Leads content team meetings, delegates work, and solves problems that put deadlines at risk.
- Formulates, implements, and optimizes content team practices and processes, promoting a culture where team members know what’s expected of them and take ownership of their work.
- Closely manages the work of junior staff. Sets clear expectations, gives immediate feedback on work product, and takes responsibility to ensure that all content meets our high standards.
- Partners with UX product owners, designers, and information architects and external agency partners on a large-scale web redesign project.
- Must be a highly collaborative player who can carve out space for their own voice on a team of strategic thinkers.
- Must have a strong perspective on the relationship between content strategy and UX design. Knows when to be flexible and when to be assertive.
- As part of an internal team that will partner with an agency team, must have excellent communication skills and be able to collaborate diplomatically.
- Works closely with project sponsors across the organization, including executive leadership, to understand their needs and the needs of their users and to ensure both are realized in our digital experiences.
- Leads on content strategy briefs, content audits, and copy decks and contributes to the development of project plans, wireframes, requirements documents, and related artifacts, driving toward solutions that best serve the user and the content.
- Manages and executes all phases of content development: discovery and research; strategy and planning; copywriting, developmental editing, and copyediting.
- Expertise with CMS design, structured content, and content modeling.
- Must get up to speed quickly on various projects involving content modeling, structured content (in Drupal 8), and XML content structure/strategy.
- Will need to understand the foundational work that has been done to date and then help shape it going forward.
- Writes content standards, guidelines, and usage rules that cascade to all College Board web properties, laying a foundation for a consistent content strategy and user experience across all our websites, online tools, apps, and transactional systems.
- Manages the dissemination of our digital content standards to third-party vendors, making sure they have the tools and the training necessary to execute strategy that meets our high standards on outsourced digital projects.
- Collaborates on the development of taxonomies, metadata structures, and content development workflows.
- Takes responsibility for consistent voice and messaging on all assigned projects.
- Delivers or manages the delivery of voice and tone guidelines as well as project briefs, audits, and other discovery documents that inform content development.
- Oversees the iterative copy development process through all stages, with a focus on ensuring productive, respectful dialogue as copy is reviewed and revised.
- Collaborates closely with UX and IT leads as well as colleagues from across the College Board, including communications, direct marketing, individual programs, and legal.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Marketing, Communications, English, Journalism, Business, Library Sciences, Human Factors, Marketing, Instructional Design, or related field preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience creating, editing, managing and growing digital content for diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team of content strategists.
- Demonstrated project management and time management skills, including ability to accurately gauge project duration, manage expectations, deliver on deadlines, and handle conflicting priorities.
- Proven ability to respond creatively and respectfully to feedback from sponsors, project team members, copyeditors, and others.
- Proven expertise in web content management systems, including experience, understanding of, and comfort with, the technical and workflow issues surrounding large-scale digital content projects.
- Experience working on an Agile team strongly preferred.
- Experience in education-related industries strongly preferred.
More About You
- Exceptional leader and communicator who is at ease at all levels of the organization
- Ability to provide creative direction on projects
- Deep understanding of digital media and communications in all its forms
- Friendly, creative, direct, and collaborative
- Calm and graceful under pressure, with flexibility and adaptability to rapidly changing environment, who admits mistakes quickly and openly, and is a fearless defender of our editorial integrity
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity, and its programs, services, and employment policies are guided by that principle.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.