Project Manager, XML Publishing
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Project Manager – XML Publishing for our Operations department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office.
Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative education companies, the College Board is a mission-focused organization. This job requires a strong focus on improving educational opportunities and outcomes, particularly for disadvantaged students, in the context of a competitive business environment.
The Project Manager – XML Publishing is responsible for developing, integrating, and maintaining schedules in Smartsheet for all College Readiness Assessments (CRA) publications produced using XML (in the XDocs Component Content Management System). They will expertly build schedules that consider complex content reuse; staggered content development, review, and print timelines; resource overlap; content branching and merging efficiencies; and pending decisions. The Project Manager – XML Publishing will work closely with team leads to establish appropriately sized task durations and with Communications & Marking resource managers to schedule copyeditor and designer resource schedules. They will adeptly adjust the schedules as priorities shift, milestones slip, and new information is learned that affect schedules. The Project Manager – XML Publishing will run daily team standups and provide oversight and management of the schedules to ensure that all XML core team members are aware of upcoming tasks and milestones. The Project Manager – XML Publishing will maintain the XML core team’s Jira board and conduct Agile ceremonies, as needed.
.What you’ll do
- Developing and maintaining schedules in Smartsheet for all CRA publications/content produced using XML.
- Developing and managing UMT 360 schedules (Communications & Marketing project management tool): assign tasks for copyeditors and designers, close out projects, work with resource managers to manage resource capacity.
- Understanding the intricacies and complications of content reuse overlaps/conflicts across titles and audiences and how that plays into schedules.
- Working with key stakeholder leads to develop initial schedules. Communicating outcomes and decisions and providing updates as schedules shift.
- Layering in dependencies and key milestones.
- Sequencing shared and independent tasks across titles and audiences ensuring resource balance and timely handoffs.
- Creatively solutioning ways to optimize content development, review, and layout scheduling.
- Working with Program Publications lead to establish workable content development and revision timelines.
- Working with Communications & Marketing resource managers to balance copyedit and design resource load.
- Working with Publications Operations and vendors to establish print-ready handoff dates.
- Working with Publications Operations Project Manager to integrate schedules and dependencies.
- Communicating timing for and providing oversight of project-related XML system admin tasks managed by Operations XML Publications Specialist, including but not limited to: adding new users, managing permissions, setting up projects for workflows and branching, setting up notifications for workflows, creating new or updating existing workflows, creating new branches, creating/updating notification email templates, and deleting/moving files as requested by the team.
- Facilitating weekly core team call.
- Facilitating daily standup.
- Maintaining Jira board and facilitating Agile ceremonies such as grooming and retrospectives. Managing the backlog.
- Maintaining relationship with the XML integrator: conducting weekly call, facilitating communications between XML integrator and team; keeping XML integrator work on schedule.
- Participating in multi-platform publishing planning and solutioning.
- Working closely with the Senior Manager – Publications to develop executive status reports, provide budget management input and invoice approval, future phase scoping, prioritization, SOWs, etc.
- Regular status reporting.
- Travel to vendor and other CB offices as required (<20%).
- Ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and/or a combination of at least 5+ years of progressively responsible and related work experience.
- 5+ years experience in project management
- Experience with XML and XDocs CCMS (or other XML content management system) required
- Project management experience using SmartSheet required
- Experience using Jira required
- Experience leading Agile teams preferred
More about you
- Ability to synthesize and organize large amounts of information into digestible outputs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with the team as well as independently and to self-manage work
- Strong organizational, time, and task management skills
- Flexible and collaborative
- Strong computer literacy, including Microsoft Office, Excel, Project and PowerPoint
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, health and pet insurance, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.